1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faded Bumper Question...

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Luckydog, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

Okay, got my Sambar last week, the truck is great!! only problem is that the front bumper is faded, it looks grey not black and I was wondering has anyone here treated the bumper with anything to return it to it's original glory? I could paint it but I think black paint will only chip/flake off since the bumper is rubber not black...

Any ideas...

Adam

2. arnott1t

arnott1t New Member

Try a haet gun. It will bring the release angents in the plastic back to the surface and restore alot of its shine. This can be done on many automotive plastics. I've seen it done on jeep cherkees with amazing results. Take some before and after pics too.

3. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

you can also buy "back to black" treatment at most auto parts stores. it is made for bumpers.

4. Find a painters supply and tell them you need "bull dog" plastic and rubber paint, it works amazing!! It costs about 16.00 per spray can but it works and looks great!

5. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

"Black Chrome"

Have you ever tried a product call "Black Chrome". I have not tried it on mini truck bumpers, but have used it on other vehicles and it does a pretty good job on faded out plastics. It is black in color, so it will cause the plastic to take on a darker color, however very uniform. You can find it in any automotive detailing sections of your local autoparts stores or even Walmart. Just apply to a rag and start wiping.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

Found the perfect product!!!

I was at Port Dover this last weekend for a motorcycle event and started talking to a guy from Meguiar's and told him about the bumper - well he lean's over and grabs this bottle and tells me that this is the stuff you need..... so I fork over $10 and take it home.

Works, works great! I can't beleive how good it works! My gray faded bumper is now black again!!! and it's not sticky.

Here is what I bought " Meguiar's Gold Class - TRIM DETAILER" it's used to restore dark plastic and rubber...it's magical

Best $10 I've ever spent.:)

Adam

7. toenail

toenail New Member

I tried Back to Black made by Mothers and it worked great. Thanks for the post.

8. shreddog

shreddog Member

ditto. got some "back 2 black" at crappy tire for $8.99. way better now. BUT now i need a paint job for the rest of my sambar!

9. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Just ordered some Meguiar's Gold Class - TRIM DETAILER on ebay for under 10bucks/bottle, but the shipping to Japan is a killer. Oh well, I hope our clients like their bumpers cleaned up!

Thanks for the tip, we can't find that stuff over here in Japan!

10. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I recently saw a write up on taking a hair dryer and bringing the color back into the front bumper. Have not tried it yet, but will and post results.

11. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Tried the hair blower. Dont waste your time. Not! No! Didnt happen! Dont work! I did get my truck back from Bull Dog in Louisana. Took it stright to the paint shop.

Attached Files:

12. miniMOG

miniMOG Member

a can of semi-gloss spray paint is my buddy! Works on bumpers, wheels, and to clean up springs/brackets/wheelwells, etc. after painting body.

I like the cans that have a "fan" spray. $4.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. cadair7

cadair7 New Member

Heat Gun Method

I just read this thread this morning and had to try it. I was constantly trying to get the bumper looking good. I used a 1,200W heat gun and the results were awesome!

I went nice and slow, 1-2 inches from the surface. You could see the plastic change from dull grey to shiny black in seconds! It even got rid of minor scratches and white "water" spots. I have tried to get some photos, but hard to capture the results.

The first 2 photos are of a small section, with a "water" spot - before and after. The third is a photo of 2/3 of the bumper done.

Attached Files:

greg0187 likes this.
  14. Griz

Griz Member

Wal-Mart has Krylon Fusion paint for plastic, works great. Bumper, light bezel & hub caps were all painted with it.
    [​IMG]

15. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

thanks for the pictures. This seems to be a good tip.