1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F Y I High Idle

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by TRAX and HORNS, Jul 23, 2011.

1. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Recently a good friend of mine at South Texas Mini Truck(Bryce) was having a high idle problem on a Suz. I assume it was a 90's model. Bryce is pretty sharp and had checked everything out and still had the idle issue. He called me to get my two cents. I was fixing to call him back when he emailed me and said never mind, he had found the problem. It had little to no coolant in radiator. he added the fluid and the idle problem was fixed. I assume it has something to do with the coolant system sensors not being able to read steam? That would make sense. About two days later I was servicing a truck that was about to be deliverd. Same thing happened, high idle. Two weeks earlier the truck ran and operated perfect. After the temp. went past half way I shut it down and let it cool off. I then open the radiator cap and had to add about 3 qts. of water. Fired it up and idle came down to normal. After letting it sit for 30 min. or so I saw a small drip from the lower radiator area. With the truck hot and having pressure on the cooling system it would leak. After it cooled down no leak. Havnt pulled radiator yet but would not be surprised to find a leak in radiator somewhere.
    So bottom line also check your coolant level when troubleshooting a high idle problem as well as the coolant line that pre heats the carb. This line tends to clog up. I have seen about 50% of my trucks that this line is clogged up to some degree.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Might be sensing cold carb and raising idle. Remember if you get a leaking hose in the woods to loosen radiator cap to relieve pressure that would force water out of system.