1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Temp Light ???

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bobjonah, Feb 25, 2013.

1. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I have a warning light on my instrument panel - looks like a muffler with heat rising from it. It has started to glow
    red if I idle on choke for a bit, but then slowly goes out when I get moving. Anybody know what it is ?. Possible causes ?. Could my catalytic converter be pooched ?
    It is a 1992 S82P. I have noticed that the exhaust does not escape the pipe very quickly and have been concearned that there could be a blockage, but the truck works great. Mind you, I don't really know what great is on one of these as it is my first experience - it is slow, but other than that it seems fine.

Bob Jonah

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

On my Scrum it is a bad ground on the O2 sensor.You can check by running a jumper wire from the sensor body to the neg post on the battery.Mine comes and goes and seems to be affected by other things like heater fan speed.If there is restricted exhaust flow it could be a more serious problem though.

3. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Hi Jim:
    Thanks for the reply - however I don't think I have an O2 sensor - it is carb, not EFI, but I will take a look for one anyway.

Thanks
    Bob Jonah

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

My Scrum is carbureted too and it has the sensor.Apparently it grounds through the threads and I cleaned mine til they shined but still had a bad ground.

5. rst277

rst277 Member

That light (BBQ light) is reporting blockage in the catalytic convertor. Could be a bad ground as the O2 sensor is right there. Mine came on occasionally and then finally full time and I worried about heat from the exhaust not escaping and backing up and harming the exhaust valves. Fortunately, the 20 year old muffler finally disintegrated - causing some concern from the people in the cars behind me - so I chopped out the cat and went with a new exhaust pipe and muffler from there. Problem solved and a bit more power with a less restrictive muffler system. Ralph in Winnipeg