1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Sub Cooling Fan Issues?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by vtg, Jul 31, 2011.

1. vtg

vtg Member

Today, while using my 1992 Acty to do some yard spraying, I heard some intermittent clicking under the dash. After awhile, the clicking got worse and then went really nuts until it finally quit and became quiet. I assume the problem to be the relay or control unit for my sub cooling fan because my fan did not come on after I shut the truck off today. It was a very hot day here and my exhaust fan almost always comes on after I stop the truck on hot days like these.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I don't know if the relay, control unit, or the fan is at fault? And I have not yet figured out where the relay is, though the sound seemed to be coming from somewhere behind the glovebox. How important is this exhaust fan? Would it hurt to run the truck a few miles without it in working order? I've never seen another vehicle with an exhaust fan and am wondering why it's even there. I guess there must be a good reason for it or they would not have included it, but I'd just like to know the reason the Acty needs such a devise.

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

If I remember correctly the control unit for the sub cooling fan is behind the glovebox. I think I've only heard mine run once in three years. It sounds like you had a short in the wiring causing the relay to go nuts until the fuse blew.

3. vtg

vtg Member

Thanks for your input, oldmachinist. This morning, I checked the fuse and found it to be good. I then removed the fan itself and tested it and found it to be in good working order. I am wondering if the problem might be related to the fact that I was using the truck for spraying and have been running the 12 volt sprayer pump off of the trucks battery. Perhaps the battery was running low enough that it could not properly engage the solonoid? But, I had no problems starting the truck so I didn't think that should be the problem. I'll do a bit more investigating and see what I find. While I had the exhaust sub-cooling fan out, I snapped a pic of it and will post it here just so people can see what it looks like if they happen to be looking under their truck to find theirs.

[​IMG]

4. vtg

vtg Member

Strangely, the problem seems to have solved itself. The fan is back to running the way it used to and the relay no longer makes a racket. All I did was check the fuse (which was good) and remove the fan and test it and reinstall it. I'm really thinking it might have been a low voltage related problem due to my running the 12 volt sprayer pump......perhaps the charging system is a bit marginal for such accessories.

oldmachinist, I find it odd that you've only heard your sub cooling fan running once in three years. Mine seldom runs when I'm actually driving the truck aside from when I run a long distance at super slow speeds. But on just about any warm day (72 degrees F or hotter), the fan will kick in anywhere from 4-10 minutes after I have shut the truck off..........that is provided I've driven the truck more than 10 or 15 miles prior to shutting it off. The fan will then run for a period of anywhere from about 5-12 minutes before it shuts down.

I'd still like to know the reasoning behind this exhaust sub cooling fan and I'm wondering if any of the other makes of mini trucks have such a fan?

5. OldMachinist

The reason my fan doesn't run is that I live in Illinois and you can't drive it on the street. So I only drive it around my property and the 1 mile daily round trip to the mailbox on my driveway.

6. vtg

vtg Member

Ok, that explains it....lol. Kinda hard to get her warmed up enough in that little distance. I probably drive mine an average of 40 miles a day and I don't know how it stands up to some of the abuse I put it through. Some say the Hondas aren't cut out for off-roading, but if you saw the stuff I do with mine, you'd likely cringe. Yours should last forever!

7. OldMachinist

It gets plenty of off road use on my logging trails with creek crossings and has been thru muddy fields where the bottom was dragging but its never got stuck.

8. weoner

weoner New Member

great now i know what fan is going on under my van, mine goes on every time i turn off my truck and runs for at least ten minutes, and its winter time!

Would it hurt if I unhooked it? I just see it as a waste of my battery

Andrew