1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust overheat sensor specs

Discussion in 'Honda Acty References' started by MiniBrutes, Apr 24, 2009.

1. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Folks,

Looking for the specs on a good exhaust overheat sender.

You know, the jobby plugged into your exhaust.

I have a bad one (Open Circuit) and the light is on. I need to know the resistance (Ohms) of a good sensor.

You would measure from the wire (Unplugged from the truck) to ground. (Or to the body of the sensor)

We have no Honda's in stock, other than the one with a bad sender, so I don't have a reference point.

Once I have this info, I can mod something up to work. (Or just pull the light out of the dash. Ha)

Thanks in advance

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I had a little time today so I checked this for you today. The sensor has zero resistance at all times(cold thru operating temp). It aparently is just a thermo switch that opens if the temp is too high so without pulling it out I can't tell you at what temp it opens. Maybe if you pull it and clean it up it might have a temp rating on it. If you were a owner instead of a dealer I would say just to ground out the wire and turn the light out but that wouldn't be fair to a buyer unless you disclosed that to them.

3. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

This is a customers truck. Light is on. Sensor is in open-circuit continuously. He wants it off (of course) .

Grounded sensor wire and light stays on. I thought I maybe had a break somewhere, but i get about 5 volts through the line. Thats why i was thinking there may be a specific resistance of the sensor. But if its grounded out, then that is obviously not the case.

Maybe I wasnt yelling loud enough at it the other day. I will try again in the morning.

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort to test your sensor.

Jeremy

4. OldMachinist

If the weather's dry tomorrow I'll look at it again and see if I get voltage at the sensor connector.

5. OldMachinist

Okay I checked a little more today and here'e what I found.

4.10 volts on wire to the sensor plug without the sensor plugged in

As soon as sensor is plugged in voltage drops to zero

If I ground the 4.10 volts without the sensor plugged in the light goes out

Hopes it helps.

p.s.
    Jet ski's and snowmoblies also use exhaust over temp switches maybe if there's a dealer of one near you they might have a switch/sensor that would work.

6. MN_Minitrucker

MN_Minitrucker New Member

Which overheat indicator light?

I've got a Suzuki Carry and am wondering if we're talking the same thing. Is there any chance you are talking about the indicator light at the top of the dashboard between the gas gauge and spedometer? Looks like a rectangle with pipes coming out of the left and right side with heat waves coming off the top? I've got a similiar problem I think. I can't get the light to turn off or get the truck to start up. Its a pain becuase the vehicle won't crank and run, it only clicks. I'd like to take it into the shop, but I can't even get it out of the garage at this point. How do I solve this? I'm not a mechanic but am brave, I think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  7. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

This light/sensor has nothing to do with your truck not starting. If you are just getting a click you either have low voltage (Boost it) or possibly a bad starter.

Again, no relevance to the light whatsoever.