1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by TooManyProjects, May 3, 2016.

1. Heres one for all the Masters of All that is Mini.
    Got new exhaust put on today. And discovered this after a couple hours of doodling with my choke plate issue. (Which is now fixed). The exhaust manifold has what appears to be a plate on it. From said plate, runs two (2) foil hoses. One goes to the air cleaner. The other appears to be routed inside the body. Not sure of its purpose or where it ends. The foil pipe that leads to the air cleaner is rusted/broken from the plate. My plan is to remove the plate, and use it as a mock up, and make a new plate that does NOT have these two (2) ports in it. Thereby closing it off and eliminating 20160503_201127-1.jpg both foil pipes. Heres my questions.
    Will this hurt anything? And what is the pipe going inside the body doing? And last but not least, could this account for the rough idle after warm up, since it is likely sucking air back into the head.
    1991 Mitsu Minicab TD. 3G83.

I know what the one that goes to the air cleaner is for. It has been deleted from all.

2. Also, is where these two foil pipes connect, is that a direct entry to the exhaust or is that just a heat exchange?

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even bother with it. Just take of the hoses and dispose of. The area under enclosed merely acts as a heat exchanger to get warm air to to air cleaner.

Fred

TooManyProjects likes this.
  4. Awesome! Thanks again Fred! I was hoping to not have to remove the exhaust manifold if i could keep from it.

Joe

5. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

6. Awesome! Thanks Ronin! I set up my account here to recive emails when someone replys to a post i created. I got one where you asked if i had a 1991 3g83 but couldnt reply to it for some reason. But yes, 1991 3g83 Mitsu.

7. Wow! Great minds think alike i suppose. I checked the link you posted above. I swear to you, not 30 minutes ago i found and printed those exact diagrams from a PDF site called "Auto-Kat.com". Check it out. They have quite a few diagrams. Motors, carbs, clutch pack, everything.

8. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Good Deal... Yeah I mixed that one up and deleted/re-replied.

TooManyProjects likes this.