1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Gasket

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by splauchs, Sep 17, 2013.

1. splauchs

splauchs Member

Hello everyone! Tried finding this answer, but just couldn't. 93 HiJet S83P. I am in need of the gasket, maybe it's a donut gasket, I don't know, but the one between the manifold and first pipe. It appears to be held on with tension relief springs or something. Kinda afraid to try it myself for fear of breaking a stud in the manifold since I've never done that before. So I called my local general purpose mechanic who said sure, bring it and a replacement gasket over. Huh??? I should have known it wouldn't be an off the shelf thing before I called. Question, does anyone know if there is a direct replacement available from my local Auto Zone, or is that a specialty item? I really need to quiet this thing down before the season opens and I think this would do it. As usual, thanks for any support you fine folks can offer.

2. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

The one on mine was a stocked item. I brought mine in with me and matched it up....I'll look around to see if I still have the receipt. Might have the part number on it........just don't hold your breath!!! Hahaha I had to use more heat on these stud's with the springs on them than I have on anything for quite some time. I ended up heating them, then spraying the stud with cold water to be able to break them loose. I really didn't want to break em. Did that 3 poor 4 times and was able to get them to spin out easily. Then while I was there I removed all that exhaust plugging junk up inside the cateletic converter.....,.boy what a difference that made!!! Good luck man!!

3. splauchs

splauchs Member

Hello Moose! Good hearing from ya and thanks for the reply. If you find that number by all mans let me know. Since I've written that I went back under it and took a closer look (and feel). Didn;t feel anything coming from around that joint, but I did find another leak. Anyway, I pulled it out and rebuilt it, this time re-installed the cat converter I had removed when I was troubleshooting the running issue several months back. Reinstalled it with a few mods and it is considerably quieter. That's it for this year. I had hoped to have the interior recovered before the season but it is just too close and it works just fine ugly. I want to post a few pics of the progress thus far, maybe I will remember when I get home. :) Hope mini mog is doing fine. Get that firewood cut and ready for the cold up there. Thanks again for the answer.

4. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I haven't found that receipt yet......I know its here somewhere though. Haha. Glad ya got her hammered out. What are you hunting that needs ya to be so quiet? From what I saw.......them gaters don't seem to care how loud ya are!! Hahaha we already froze the other night. Been steadily getting colder. My mini-mog has been down for almost 2 months while waiting for parts to show up. I guess I have to find a new place to order parts from. Got too much to do to her before the snow flies.

5. splauchs

splauchs Member

Well it ain't gators I'm hunting for. :) I generally just steer clear of them. No close encounters where I was concerned for me, but we usually have the dog with us and I am pretty sure they would love that expensive sweet meat. Thinking I will have to do a ring/valve job after the season. (Deer by the way). Is that a big deal? I totally rebuilt a 280Z when I was a lot younger, but don't want to get that involved again. Dang thing smokes after it sits a while, maybe a couple of weeks. Compression is kind of low, 165 Front and Center, 175 Rear. So I'm guessing I need to go into it. Gonna be retired come Jan 1 and would have the time, just don't know if I have the patience for it.

6. El Ventu

El Ventu Member

On my "totally DIY exhaust" I mouted between the flanges a common high temperature (graphite+steel ring) gasket.

7. splauchs

splauchs Member

Hey, thanks for the reply. After looking it over real close I pretty much determined that there wasn;t a leak there, and found multiple in other places. Spent a weekend welding and bending and came up with something that seems workable. I'll keep that idea in mind if in the future I run into other issues. For now at least the project is done until the spring. Thanks.