1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ever seen a pto generator on a mini? (pic)

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cottonfarmer, Apr 13, 2008.

1. cottonfarmer

cottonfarmer New Member

I just bought a 97 hijet jumbo and was loading it up and looked under the truck and there it was........ The folks I purchased it from had never heard of one. there is a recepticle in the cab that says 100 volt AC. I havent checked the output yet, sure hope its more like 115 volt ac.....lol
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Cool! Thanks for the pic. I wonder what it was used for?

-Greg

3. indulis

indulis New Member

Plug things in with caution. The standard in Japan is 100V/200V @ 50Hz not 110V/220V @ 60 Hz like here in the States.

4. 1Poet

1Poet New Member

You probably can't use it as is. However, you might pull it off and see how they connected it and substitute a western voltage generator.

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Yep...he beat me to it. Make sure you confirm the cycles! Nevertheless, a cool find!

6. myhijet

myhijet Member

Yes. When in college the industrial ag instructer and a few of us went to a conference in nashville. One group from europe, on their first day of the conference, plugged in their computers and cnc devices to the hotel outlets, and presto chango, they no longer worked.

On the way home, the instructor was telling us and i asked what the cycle was there and he nearly wrecked when he realized what they had done.

7. kalmac

kalmac New Member

ok looking at that got me thinking (can anyone else smell burning?)
    is this were the 4x4 front drive comes out?
    i use the 4x4 but if...

8. D'Animal

D'Animal Member

I would take it down to a Alternator shop or someone who rebuilds starters and see if they can convert it to American Current

9. kalmac

kalmac New Member

sorry could you post a pic of were the shaft i going to?
    this could be easyer than draging my geny round...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  10. Its 100volt 50/60hertz and popular here in Japan for rice farmers and fishermen who need to run lights late at night in remote places. It will run US/Canadian appliences just fine. The PTO joint is universal and can be used for other things.

11. WH1

WH1 New Member

How do you engage the generator?

12. Engage the PTO drive

13. JPM

JPM New Member

AC voltage and cycles are dependent on motor RPM. There should be a throttle control in the cab somewhere, and hopefully a tachometer. If the generator is over driven it will probably put out 120v/ 60Hz. Best way to check out the outlet is plug in an incandescent lamp. You can then see the difference between idle and full throttle. The worst thing that can happen is that you will blow the bulb. Next step would be to put a Fluke meter on it and check the voltage and frequency.

Best of luck with it!!

14. rayallen

rayallen Member

You can run lites, fans, clocks ect on 50 hz. I have a welder that is 50hz and things just run slower than on 60hz which is kinka like saying 1 hz per second which makes a clock 10 min slow each hour. ray allen

15. Canadian_Jumbo

Canadian_Jumbo New Member

There is a Hz meter next to the powered outlet on the dash so you know what you are getting as well. Use a multimeter to check the volts it is suppling you with and then you know. The mini truck I have has a generator on it.