1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethanol E10 in a carb mini truck

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jmbryant44, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jmbryant44

jmbryant44 New Member

I am about to pick up a 1988 Suzuki CARRY with the 550cc carb engine. I am worried about the ethanol gas. I have no stations close with ethanol free. I have read some scary stuff on the internet but don't know what to believe. Has anybody had any experience with this and can over some advice? Thanks.

2. mneuls

mneuls New Member

I don't think it's really an issue, you'll want to tune your carb for the fuel you pick. E10 needs around a 5-10% richer mixture compared to ethanol free fuel to make up for lower BTU rating. you'll want to stick with whatever fuel you pick.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I was in Hot Springs, Ar. last week and saw two gas station that said ethanol free fuel.
    Ive never seen that in or around Austin, wish there were some. Someone told me that east Texas has a few ethanol free station. But got to run what you can get.
    I would always have a can of sea foam and add a little bit in every fill up. IMO its the best fuel treatment on the market.
    Wally World has the best prices @ 7.99 at least in my state(Tx).
    Auto Parts stores are getting 12.00 these days for the same can.

4. Buckwheat363

Buckwheat363 Member

I do not worry about it with any of my newer vehicles because it is designed to run it although I cant see how it would hurt anything, but I have several older vehicles (1997, 1993 x2, 1983, 1966, and a 1947) all of which i run a little 2 stroke oil mixed in the gas because around me is all ethanol blend fuel that is a much drier fuel then what gasoline was years ago. I got the idea after poking around on the internet when i blew up an earlier four stroke outboard motor running regular grade ethanol blend gas. So far i am happy with the results. Do a little research and make up your own mind but here is a quote from an LS1.com forum member,

" Use 1oz of the two stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas ( 1oz-5gallons/ 2ozs - 10 gallons etc. and that is the perfect ratio. Too much and it will make your engine run worse....too little and it wont do anything.....use the proper amount.....get a little bottle and keep it in your car.....We have seen a maximum of 5% better MPG down to a minimum of 2% better MPG. All of our test mules reported much smoother idles and cruising. No smoking or ill effects. No residue on plugs our pistons....actually the opposite....we saw "cleaning".....I am now comfortable recommending this for all. I also now run this mixture in my GTO/Mercedes/Silverado and G6 with all having smoother running motors and all gaining MPG. Give it a try and let me know your experience. Follow the mixture ratio to the letter. 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas."
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-91206/