1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EPA certifications

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by fremontminitrucks, Jan 20, 2010.

1. While we are still a few miles from the finish line I thought you all might be interested in knowing that we have received certifications for U42T, DD51T, KS4, and S110s. Certifications for U62T, S210s, and TT2s should be granted sometime in mid February. While getting used trucks certified truly is awesome news the other bonding hurdle still has to be overcome but our lab is still optimistic that it will be worked out. That's all there is to report right now, still no trucks coming in but we're getting closer everyday!!

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Thats good news! Good work!

3. None of it will matter if something isn't worked out with the bond. At this time last year we never would have dreamed that we'd have certifications for nearly 7 trucks and still NOT be able to import, they know how to put of road blocks that's for sure

4. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

what about the DB52T, DA63T?

5. Talked with Mike about that on Monday and I don't think Cory ever sent the DA63T he said he was going to send and I need to speak to sherri on the DB52T. The only trucks I know for certain are the older models you sent and the new ones I sent.

6. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike and Doug Congratulations

Doug,

Congratulation to both you and Mike Ramply at GR Imports for putting this together. The two of you have done what others only dreamed of doing.

Again, Congrats to both of you Doug King and Mike Ramply.

7. Thanks Steven but we haven't done anything until the bonding is resolved, and the congratulations go to our awesome lab that developed the program that got the EPA to grant certifications on all those trucks.

8. o8k

o8k Member

Yes great work! Keep it up... If anyone wishes to explain the "bonding" thing. I would like to understand that better. Thanks...

o8k

9. GR and Myself just handled the trucks portion of it, the brains end of the deal is working on the bond. Basically the EPA is requiring you carry a 500K bond, which in a normal world wouldn't be that big of a deal, but they are also requiring you to put up the entire 500K before they will sell you the bond. This way, if something happens the bonding company can charge you 12K for the bond, and then use your 500K in the event they actually have to pay something, nice system huh? I currently don't know anyone that has an extra 500K to purchase a bond so unless the negotiations work out we'll be up shiat creek.

10. o8k

o8k Member

Wow, thats steep! Sounds like some cooperative arrangements among importers, or someone w/ a fat bankroll needs to get involved. A lawyer who specializes in imports may be cheaper to help the negotiation process along.. =D

11. I just joined today, but the EPA certificate can be quite a pain from a red tape standpoint. At one time we actually we were given a number to a department where no one answered.

Then one day after the phone rang 21 times, a recording picked up that was dated to May of 2008.

This call was made in Dec of 2009, crazy.

We have our certificate now, but it was a pain.

12. We didn't use ESW, and the lab's working on the bonding, not us

13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

FNA Cotton. FNA.

14. miniman

miniman Member

What does that mean?:confused:

15. I think it is from the movie Dodgeball where the younger announcer replys to the other announcer "F-N-A Cotton" in agreement to what the other guy was saying. It sounds more like f**kn a Cotton, but anyway I think it just means he agrees with the other poster.

Bob

16. Forgot we had this thread going, sorry for the multiple posts, I'll put it here where it should have been

Hello All,
    Just found out some AWESOME news that i think everyone will be excited about. The lab that did our (mine and GRs) testing has been able to overcome the bonding issue!!! If all goes as planned trucks should be able to start coming in again very soon! The 4 older models have been given certificates and we're waiting on the S210s, U62Ts, and TT2s, at that point we'll move on to the really easy ones which are the brand new suzukis that everyone tested. So anyway, we're (our industry) back in business!!!!

17. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Guest

I think that is a good thing.

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Awesome!!! Will private citizens be able to purchase these or only dealers?

19. The certifications will only be available to importers

20. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

So is it possible for a private citizen to have an importer purchase one for a truck that is already in the country? Or is this only for trucks that have not yet been imported? Will they still have to be speed limited?

21. This is only for trucks that are not already in the states and they will still be speedlimited

22. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Strange, I was under the impression that the speed limiters had to be installed only because the trucks didn't meet EPA regs. Oh well, it was worth a shot! Congrats again on getting this done, it's a huge bonus for the mini truck community :cool:

23. Yeah, they still have to be speed limited, the only thing along those lines the lab is looking at is maybe getting approval on the new trucks to be categorized as LSVs so they can have some road capacity.

24. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Awesome job, guys!

25. They absolutely have to be speed limited, that there is no question of.

26. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yup. The #1 reason I have encountered opposition at all is that there were concerns about a vehicle that could only go 25 mph obstructing traffic. Despite me explaining that there are plenty of trucks that are NOT speed limited and that I wouldn't have to break the law and remove the limiter myself to make it go over 25 mph there were still concerns. Besides, in my experience most speed limited trucks don't actually go 25 mph anyway. Pedal to the floor in 1st gear is about 32 kph if I recall properly which is about 19 mph and most mini trucks are limited by a metal shroud keeping you from shifting out of 1st gear.

27. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

sadly you will never do anything about the speed limiters on the federal level. If I remember correctly it is the DOT not EPA that says they will have to be limited. Just be thankful that it can be limited with only a metal shroud and not governed and made permnant. Some people have tried to bypass this and will cause problems for others and make things worse if they try it now. The fact that these trucks run cleaner than they originally thought is good for us but I am sure that they are frustrated by the thought that they tried to shut us down and failed, but if we complain or try to get around the governement I am sure they will try again and for those of us that have to deal with it directly I can say that we do not want that.:frustration:

28. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Really? Not according to this document from the EPA. It clearly states that the reason they must have a speed limiter is that they are being registered as "non road vehicles" in order to avoid more strict emissions requirements.

29. I appreciate everyone's passion on this but you're speaking from a position of no knowledge of what is going on. We can all beat our chests saying "someone" will do "something" "someday" but unless one of these manufactures makes one of these trucks specifically for the U.S. that passes all the necessary crash tests and other DOT requirements these trucks will never be street legal. I understand at 25mph that they're no use to you, that's fine, go buy a gator. What we've put together with this testing is more than any of us ever dreamed we'd be able to do and I'm not going to let it be belittled. Instead of proclaiming "someone" will change things and "we" can do this or vote that, if you think that we haven't done enough and you can do better, please by all means take the helm and let us know what we should be doing.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  30. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

You do know that there are 11 states whose regulations that allow trucks to be driven at speeds over 25 mph right? I'm not trying to belittle your accomplishments, I'm pointing out that Federal regs aren't the end all. I AM doing something in my state. I'm working to pass statewide regulation allowing them to be titled and driven, and I think there's a decent chance of getting it passed.