1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine ?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Bruce W Dumont, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Bruce W Dumont

Bruce W Dumont New Member

I have seen a lot of similarity between the various makers engines. For example, ther're all 3 cylinder, have almost identical covers, components, etc and the biggest difference seems to be where they are located on the chassis. I will be getting a Suzuki Carry with an engine I'm told has low compression. Will a non-Suzuki engine work as a replacement should that be necessary? I'm not positive a rebuild kit will resolve my problem and the rebuilt engine prices vary quite a bit. I noticed a replacement on Ebay for $900 and $300 shipping, but it was for a Daihatsu. Would it fit anyway? Is there a cheaper alternative?

2. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

Sambar are 2 or 4 cylinder, Honda Acty as well are transverse rear engine like Subaru. cheapest option is direct replacement, Suzukis are one of of the easiest to find parts for

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Active Member

Why not wait till you see what you got, may wind up to be something not so drastic.

Fred

4. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

Some other Suzuki engine may fit without much trouble but anything else is going to be a major job. Easier to fix yours.

5. ttc

ttc Active Member

you are looking on ebay. you need to figure out what you need in japan and to order it in. i look up all my parts on partsfan and order on impex.

6. matt167

matt167 Active Member

It's an , F5A or F6A before 1999 and a K6A if it's after 1999. F5A only until 1990, F6A after.

You have a couple options, all are "JDM".. Suzuki Alto/ Cervo, Suzuki Carry or Suzuki Jimny 660 used the F6A engines. These are the F6A that can 'work' without much trouble. Really the Carry and the Alto/ Cervo non turbocharged versions are the only ones you should really be using since the turbo engines have lower compression. The Alto/ Cervo needs the carry intake, oil pan, front drive assembly and engine mounts but is the same engine assembly. The Jimny while it is turbocharged does use the same block, pistons and rods as the Carry according to the parts listings I've looked at the turbo cylinder head has larger chambers and lowers the compression..

If you can't find what you need for less than $2k, the project isn't worth taking on