1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine swap / upgrade

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by dale hynes, Jan 21, 2020.

1. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

After trying to push the little beast(S83) through 21 inches of snow in 4 hi, and only being able to use 2nd gear for most of the time, I need to either increase engine size or power somehow. I have looked for years for anyone with the knowledge about what engine should be able to bolt to the 4 speed trans, but so far no luck. There must be someone out there who has tried an engine swap from another model of Daihatsu, Toyota or Mitsubishi all of which use the EB family of engines many with 65 HP, and made it work. Can anyone point be in the right direction?

2. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

Sorry I could not help you.
    I am very interested in the results. Please let me know how this goes.
    Thank you
    Keep truckin'!
    Yousef

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I know that the non JDM versions have larger engines, and that they had a 993-cc version based on the same block as the 660. So, if you could score one of those it would be a pretty easy swap.

The Europeans get 1-liter, 3-cylinder, and 1.3-liter, 4-cylinder versions. But I’m not too sure if they are getting 4-wd versions with the same transmission/transfer case.

4. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The Mira engine, may be your key. They were available 6v turbocharged with 64hp stock. The 660cc models should bolt right into your truck with probable intake manifold modifications. If you can find one. A VZ21 turbocharger could be adapted if you are handy.

21" of snow in any gear is pretty good though.