1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine & Solid Axle Swap Build

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Nov 3, 2008.

1. starpuss

starpuss Member

wtf kind of garage do you have? no a/c? come on go to your local wallmart they have 5100 btu ones for less then 119.00 and they keep a inslated garage that is 28x30 real nice. or hell buy two.

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

:D Sweating it out! C'mon work it...work it!

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Got the other frame rail in. All 4 upper and 4 lower link mounts tacked in. Just need to cut and weld up the links bars and the rear axle will be on.

4. starpuss

starpuss Member

you going to post some new pic's soon? i am thinking of parting out my truck then doing this to it.

5. greg0187

Yeah, I'll try to snap some tomorrow when I get the links on.

6. greg0187

Here's some crappy camera phone pics with the links on. This thing is starting to look cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. greg0187

More
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. greg0187

And more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

is that rear steer i see? :eek:

10. greg0187

Nope :p :p

11. greg0187

Wheels/Tires

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. greg0187

Accessories

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. greg0187

Next item on the agenda. Front Axle.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. greg0187

Just in case anyone was wanting to do this to their truck I thought I'd give you an idea on what some of this costs. It would have been alot cheaper to use leaf springs, and here's why.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where ever you see one of these joints connect to the frame or axle it cost $75. There are 16 total on the truck. Also I was ordering the steering linkage from the hydro cylinder to the knuckle and its going to cost $100 per linkage. There are 4 of them. :frustration:

Attached Files:

15. greg0187

Got the front axle lower link brackets on and the axle truss. Just need to add the upper link mounts to the truss and I can link it up too. One thing thats nice is that the geometry of the front and rear suspension are exactly the same so as I was fabricating parts for the rear I also fabricated parts for the front at the same time. I'm going to wait to mount the hydro cylinder because I want to make sure what I did for the back is going to work correctly on the front.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Mighty Milt

there, i fixed it for ya :D

17. Mighty Milt

ummm, yep, got a lock rite in my junk. don't know if you have run one before (but you are a smart guy and i'm sure you understand the principal)... they are clunky, quirky and inexpensive... they work really well.

i have one up front and probably my worst complaints would be that it engages one wheel on tight turns (kinda clunky pulling into tight parking spaces at the store). and as you let off the gas you can hear them engage/disengage.

i think they are a great thing to add to the front of any 4wd vehicle (if it's strong enough to handle being locked) but for the rear of a vehicle i have found that they are a lot to deal with. when building my rear axle when it came down to choice of lockers i picked a spool. for the price of the "auto lockers" (lock rite / detroit locker) and their behavior (engaging/disengaging between shifts - scrubbing a tire on tight turns / pushing the front tires) it just seemed to me a spool was cheaper and was going to do the same thing.

but, if you aren't changing carriers and reshimming gears it's not a bad choice... on the other hand you could run a mini spool in the rear too :D

18. greg0187

Yes, never used one before but I mentioned this earlier in this thread that after looking at the way it works and installs I wouldn't recommend it for an everyday driver, especially in the rear. I have two of these clunky things so we'll see how that works out. BTW I snuck a case of coors in some of the pics just for you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  19. Colin

Colin Member

Great work, man. That four link setup is tits. Can't wait to see this thing come to fruition. :D

20. greg0187

Thanks! Me too. The front 4-link is done now too. Now I just gotta get the axles back together.

21. Colin

Colin Member

Nice.

I just pushed my Sambar into the shop and pulled the box off. Going to swap the engine, but I'm not 100% sure what's going in it yet. It's like a blank canvas. I'm leaning toward a Subaru EJ-series on a VW transaxle. :D

22. jtpc

jtpc Member

I have a feeling I'll be jealous of the finished product. ;)

23. greg0187

OK Threw the front hubs/wheels/tires on and welded some angle in place of the coilovers to hold the truck up. Its gonna go about 4-5" higher because I have some tire rubbage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. Colin

Colin Member

Very nice. Are those skid loader tires? Surely it was mentioned previously in this thread, but I'm totally illiterate (thank goodness for all the pictures. :D)

25. greg0187

They are. The Cragar wheels won in a poll somewhere around here.

26. starpuss

starpuss Member

man i love your front bumper i wish i had that today (broke mine today on a "jump" lol)

27. greg0187

Yeah well... It took a lot of time to build.

28. greg0187

Ordered the coil over shocks today. Ordered them from f-o-a. Got the 2.0 with reservoir. 200lb springs front and 125lb springs rear.

29. greg0187

Well... Its gonna be a couple of weeks before I get my shocks so not much is gonna get done until then. So meanwhile here's a good video that I used to help me create this wheel drive 4 wheel steering mini. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Lnfpulwjc

30. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

Ha. Some more Canadian ingenuity for ya Eh!