1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine & Solid Axle Swap Build

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Nov 3, 2008.

1. kc7wzl

kc7wzl New Member

I would talk with ROCKAPE at www.pirate4x4.com he is the most knowledgeable guy I have seen with Honda's. he also has a friend that spec. in wiring them..... there is also another guy there that goes by dragbody ( or something. ) he build ed a Honda powered buggie for his kid... these 2 guys can help and answer any questions you have and then some.

keep up the good work... I always enjoy seeing custom fab. projects.

kc7wzl

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Out with the old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. jtpc

jtpc Member

Wow, this is definitely a major project you have going. Love the photos along the way. Good job.

4. greg0187

Here's what I've been having fun with lately.

Whats left of the Honda Civic wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. jtpc

jtpc Member

:eek:Yikes, that is a lot of wires!

6. dwink

dwink Member

A little patience and you'll get there. I have a saying around my jobsite, "you eat an elephant one mouthful at a time". Just keep after it and you'll get there.

7. MeZ

MeZ Member

this is an awesome build greg!!!!

8. greg0187

i've been sitting on that bucket for two days in front of my laptop tracing and cataloging each wire and connector I need from the main harness. The Honda electrical manual is very vague on what some of the connections are. I basically stripped out the heater controls, security system, ABS, SRS systems, etc to get what I need. My only problem now is that I think the harness I got off ebay, go figure, was for a CVT transmission car. Looks like I just have to swap some pins around.

-Greg

9. MeZ

MeZ Member

im sure youll get through it!
    Dont know if its been mentioned but what hp are you looking at making?

10. greg0187

The Honda 1.6L makes 127HP.

11. greg0187

Engine is sitting between the frame rails. I've been waiting for 3 weeks to get my parts to mount the engine and the axles. Maybe some day Ballistic Fabrication will send them. Meanwhile here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. greg0187

Yes....Thats a "Big Turbo" stainless header. :p

13. Colin

Colin Member

Uh oh... is that an SSAutochrome manifold? :eek:

Cool build.

14. greg0187

To be honest. I don't know what the hell it is??? Don't be dissin my manifold man! :D Its got a lifetime warranty. Whatever that means.

-Greg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  15. Now you need to hang a turbo from that manifold.

16. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

what are you waiting for from ballistic? can't you fab your own motor mounts?

17. Colin

Colin Member

Warranty? Whoahohoho! Better brush up on your Chinese in preparation for that phone call. :p

Just don't hang a 40lb Holset on it and you'll be alright. :D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  18. greg0187

I'm fabbing my own mounts but I need the urathane bushings and sleeves. You can see in the pictures that I have the crossmembers in place (just in front of, and behind the engine) I was hoping to get a rolling chasis by the end of the month, but waiting on parts, is gonna set me back a week or two.

19. greg0187

That would be nice. :D I wasn't planning on bolting up a turbo anyway. I don't expect much for $80. So far, not that I used it, it seems like decent quality.

-Greg

20. Well the manifold is there now :p
    Nice small sized ball bearing Garrett turbo would give you a nice torque boost.

21. greg0187

True. Maybe if I get bored one day when I finish the project I can add to it. Its only there becuase all the other exhaust manifolds route under the engine.

22. minydigger

minydigger Member

I want to do the same thing to mine but I was thinking a 3cylinder metro engine and sammy axles, looks bitchin though.

23. Firemanscottc

Firemanscottc New Member

Greg, just went and looked at your build and it looks cool. how far have you got with it?

24. greg0187

Well... And thats a big well. I have been waiting to get the materials I need to start work again. So far Ballistic fabrication hasn't been the speediest in fullfilling orders. I have just about everything I need to get going. The last pieces of my order that I ordered in Febuary should be here Saturday.:rolleyes: Obviously the last to arrive is the first that I need. Those guys in AZ don't work fast enough. No offense Milt :D. Plus I care for my 4 month old daughter during the day while my wife is at work, and I work a full time job at night. I know...Excuses, Excuses. With that said I should have the engine mounted next weekend. Then Axles and 4-links done by the end of the month. I have a very large problem with the space between the frame and the inside if the tires for the front coil-overs. If I had to do it over again I should have used the CJ wide track axles. They are only 3" wider but it would make all the difference in the world.

-Greg

25. greg0187

UPDATE: I've been working.:rolleyes: The engine is mounted and the axles are coming together. This thing is going to weigh a ton! I've been trying to keep it light but I bet the axle assemblies themselves when finished are in the neiborhood of 350lbs a piece. Every time I turn around I'm adding weight somewhere. I would have never thought that, but once I added the hydraulic cylinders for the steering and the bridge and link mounts its a whole different ball game. I've been going through alot of trial and error, thinking and rethinking, searching and planning... This if my first 4 link suspension and hydraulic steering and I want to get it right. My biggest struggle is weather or not existing things are going to be strong enough. I went ahead and ordered two 6' pieces of 1/4" 5" x 3" angle to reinforce the frame because I didn't think the 18 gauge sheetmetal frame would be strong enough to support the center link mounts (Being that all the power from the "massive" engine is concentrated here). Sorry I don't have any pics to share.:( I'll be on this thing full time in a couple of weeks and we shall start seeing some results. Hopfully I can have it done in time for Labor day weekend 09.

26. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

when i set up 4 links systems i use pvc pipe that the heims fit into. it's a lot lighter to work with and cheaper if you have an error. once you determine lengths and geometry you make them out of the cro mo.

27. greg0187

Not a bad idea. I will use that idea, no sense in cutting the tubing until I know its right. I initially bought cro mo tubing but then replaced it with heavier wall DOM tubing because of limitations I encountered. I was told that I shouldn't be welding any cro mol tubing with a mig welder greater than .12 wall. So I got 3/8" wall DOM. Nothing like forking out a few hundred for cromoly and forking out another few for DOM. I figured I'd use the cromoly for a sweet go cart for my daughter one day.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  28. greg0187

I haven't updated this in a while, although I haven't made a huge amount of progress heres some pics of the engine mounted and one of the frame reinforcements I fabbed up. I have one of the axles put together and just recieved my 4 link mounts. I know its slow but I'm making some progress!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

29. jtpc

jtpc Member

Goodness, that is quite a project! :) I'm impressed and will be happy for you when it is complete.

30. greg0187

Thanks! I will be too. After working in a pool of my own sweat for the past few hours I got the upper axle links done and one of the reinforced frame rails completely welded in... Its just too darn hot to be working in the garage these days.