1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine & Solid Axle Swap Build

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Nov 3, 2008.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

CV boot with a rod-end bushing,

If you want the whole mount, I'd cut the mounting flange right out of the top of a gas tank. Then you've got a "no fail" boot mount; remove seal, wrap boot lip.
    Drill holes in the flange for axle mounting.

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Good idea! Or you could also use a power trim gauge and sending unit from a boat. Fuel sending unit is probably more readily available though. Just make sure you get one that has a good response time. Alot of the systems are designed to be slow to minimize gauge movement for gas sloshing around.

3. greg0187

Havent gotten the truck out of the shop since the new years day ride.

Major upgrade in transit... Stay tuned ya'll. :pop:

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Great! Always look forward to your adventures.

5. greg0187

Forum works like **** with IE9.

Sneak peak of whats to come. Waiting on the 128 nuts/bolts/washers to get them mounted. ;)

[​IMG]

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, forum's a little clunky lately and I use GC.

Same thing's been happening to me...no-load-pics.

They're there...then they're gone...:confused:

7. Acerguy

Very cool. Will look even more gnarley than it already does!

8. Clayton

Clayton New Member

WOW!!! just read this whole thread

9. greg0187

Cool. Hope you liked it. I need to post some pics of my Allied bead locks. Hope to test them out in the next couple weeks on a Halloween ride.

10. greg0187

Trail carnage from the Halloween ride. Bounced it off a few rocks... Managed to tweak my 1/4" thick front bumper too. Nice way to break in a brand new bead lock wheel. :frustration:

Gonna try to fix it in time for the New years ride. If not the old set is going back on. I have to say the tires are great but you cannot beat the durability of the skid steer and believe it or not the skid steer tires beat the Maxxis tires on sheer vertical rock wall climbing hands down. The only pitfall of the skids is that they ride and handle like absolute crap.

front.jpg back.jpg

11. Daner

Daner Member

Ouch! I wanna see a pic of the bumper...

12. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Looks like someone had a little to much fun maybe. Naaaaaaa good luck fixing them

13. greg0187

Oh it was great fun!

Pics of the bumper. It just got tweaked a bit. You can see its actually twisted back on the bottom.

bottomside.jpg
    Front fender is pushed up.
    frontstraightlow.jpg

Not near as bad as the damage taken to the B pillar that I still need to fix. :eek:
    doorjamb.jpg

14. Acerguy

I believe that you still owe us a picture of the rig with the new tires on it. Hmmmmm?????

15. Little Digger

Little Digger Member

Ya some one is having fun! The skid steer tires work better on rock than the Maxxis ?? The skiders are a vary tough tire, I don't think you can hurt them. Hammer out the beads and weld in some bead stiffeners. Some videos would be cool !! :pop:

16. greg0187

Keith, I know... I haven't even taken a picture of it yet.

Digger, when it comes down to vertical face rock cliff's the skid steers outperform the maxxis like night and day. Overall the Maxxis are better.

It would be nice but I can't find any bead stiffeners that are for the inside of the wheel. I have clearance issues with the brake calipers. I tried to hammer out the bends but not having any luck using heavy rubber mallets and dead blows. I am going to take the wheel to a shop that specializes in this sort of thing before I break out the sledge hammer. I also had to order a new tire since I trashed this one by driving on it back to camp (there was about 8 cups of shedded rubber inside the tire). Im going to take some time during christmas break to mount my spare tire and toolbox before going out again. Expensive lesson learned.

Hopefully Santa is bringing me a gopro and I can catch some of the action come new years ride. (fingers crossed)

17. greg0187

Rolled the truck on its other side. On the plus side the roll bar is straight now. Looks like i got t-boned. No broken glass. Door is smashed. Bed side and bed floor got the majority of the damage this time.

Roll2.jpg

18. greg0187

I guess I should update this to 2014. Hey! I'm still around. Barely... Last time I had the truck out (October last year) I sunk it in a pond and swamped the transmission because I didn't realize the dip stick had fallen out. Good thing I have a spare! Problem is I have this other money pit project taking up all my time with no end in sight!

19. SOOTLIFE

SOOTLIFE New Member

Greg, just read through the build and MAN this is awesome!! Great work and may your new project be just as a success

20. greg0187

Thank you sir. I'm glad you enjoyed it. My new project is a 66 Mustang. Another 3yr project and I'm dumping a crazy amount of money/work into it. Sadly the truck has been sitting in the drive rotting away. I swamped the transmission in a pond back in October 2013 and it has been sitting since then. I have a backup that I started rebuilding but it just keeps getting put to the side. I plan to get back in the drivers seat this summer. Hope to get some good video coming too.

21. Acerguy

Yeah Greg....get that truck back on the trail! :D

22. SOOTLIFE

SOOTLIFE New Member

Any update?:)

23. greg0187

Nothing really to update. I still have the truck. I haven't had it out in a couple years. I start it up and run it every couple months. It's just sitting outside rotting. Sigh.

24. SOOTLIFE

SOOTLIFE New Member

:( If you were closer to florida, i'd say come out and ride but thats a far drive. It's an awesome build. I have been working on my Suzuki carry for about 2 years now. Life gets in the way.

25. DWils

DWils Member

I just read through all 20 pages of this thread. It made me really happy I bought a 2wd Acty van instead of something with 4wd because the potential just never ends with 4wd of what to do next. It's a shame the truck just ended up rotting outside instead of being sold to the next person who would fix it up and drive it.

26. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I agree, hey do you have some pics of your van?
    PM me I wonder a lot about a 2wheel van and how much room you have up front and fuel mileage?