1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine & Solid Axle Swap Build

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by greg0187, Nov 3, 2008.

1. minydigger

minydigger Member

any plan to put some kinda shield over those hydraulic lines

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I plan i putting a sheild so my ankle doesn't get sawed off if a hose breaks. Honestly with the small tires and low weight i don't think the pressure is high at all.

3. greg0187

Tested the roll cage. Works well... I think i have a broken rib. Gonna need some parts.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Oh sh*t....not what anyone wanted to see...hope you're okay....:(:eek:

5. greg0187

no kidding. a little sore. probably a bruised rib. hurts like something fierce. I'll live. gonna need a new door. My brother in law was shooting video but i was too far away on the back stretch for him to get anything. all he got was us climbing out of the cab. Im really supriesed the windsheild didn't break. gonna post up some pic of the carnage in a bit.

6. erixun

erixun Member

HOLY CRAP! My first words when I saw the picture were a little more graphic and cannot be posted.

First, hope you are okay!

Second, (here comes the typical morbid part) what happened? What were you doing?

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Dude, sorry to see that! Too top heavy?

8. greg0187

Was out having fun trying to get some video and drove down to the end of the road and spun around. On the way back I gassed it dragster style (Cause thats the only way to drive this truck) then the rear end went into a rut and started to pull me into the brush. While steering to stay out of the brush the back wheel came out of the rut and I basically over corrected, spun a 180, hit a drainage culvert that blew out the front right tire, then ended up on the other side of the road on the side.

Unfortunately the B-Pillar took most of the force... its smashed pretty good. the door is scrap. The A-pillar is pushed into the dash. The roof is bubbled up a couple inches. Mirror is broken. Not really sure how i managed not to break any of the glass. My passenger fell on me and in an effort to escape as fast as he could he stepped and broke my wiper switch off the column and dented the passenger door when he climbed out. (Said he smelled gas :rolleyes:)

And the engine is hydro locked with oil.

9. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

aww that sucks man!! hope you're okay!

10. erixun

erixun Member

11. starpuss

starpuss Member

the Gas he smelled was him sh**ing himself lol...

you should make some start up Video when you get her going.

Think your going to Lower the truck down 4-6"?

12. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the hydrolocking with oil is no prob....just sitting upright with the plugs out for a few days will drain it back.....are you sure you didn't say "watch this" first...?....cause that will do it every time.....hopefully not too bad on the body damage

13. greg0187

Snagged this off my facebook. My brother in law made it. Don't know how long it will be there before it gets pulled for copyright infringement on the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VO_jxGHKao

EDIT: Should be ok now. I swapped the audio track.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  14. starpuss

starpuss Member

you Drive like a NUT!! lol... it's like you wanted to do that.

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I second that:[​IMG]
    That was way cool Greg, but you dive that close to the edge and sh!t is going to happen; glad you're OK though. Not telling you to stop, I do some stuff that don't make it to video, just be carefull man.

Not as bad as my buddy, here:
    Someone steped out infront of him, also swerve situation.

Attached Files:

16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Badass vid man! Glad you're OK and that the truck more or less survived :D

17. axle

axle Member

WOW! what can i say. i love that truck. rebuild it.:D

18. greg0187

Yeah. Im a nut. Riding with me gets pretty intense. I have a reputation for this kind of thing so no one ever wants to ride with me. I don't really think the truck is top heavy. Given the circumstances I think just about anything would of rolled on its side. At 1:10 in the video i crab walked off a nearly 4' dropoff, the same one i climbed in the beginning. That was pushing it but its nothing i haven't done before. :D

19. Stuff99

ow! that couldnt have been easy to get back up without more damage!

20. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Unlike Greg's hard packed area, this was in the winter. Righted it the same way, but over the snow bank, cupple of scratches, that's all..

21. pale horse

pale horse New Member

Greg this sounds like fun when I first looked into minis I thought they would be fun to mod out.Let me know how your plan works out and you could do with out low range is you had a high power motor, lots of jeeps get along with out it as well. I would like a nice small turbo engine if the right one is found. I also thought a mini with a small block chevy mounted in the bed like the drag car the little red wagon . would be cool on the drag strips keep in touch and let us know how things work out for you. Kim

22. greg0187

Added limit straps to all 4 corners.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Neat. Suspenders for your truck! :D

24. how tall?

Greg,

How much lift do you have?

I'm also planning to do a Sold Axle Convo soon.

Thanks!

25. greg0187

I haven't kept up with the amount of lift but I figure its at least 8 inches. In its stock form the top of the front wheel well was somewhere around 23-24 inches from the ground and now its 37.

26. Stuff99

thats insane greg!

27. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind seeing a little hill climbing, back at the scene of the crime.

Ever think of going back to the place where you broke the axle, and smashing those hills?

28. greg0187

I actually did go back there. I was able to climb the hill i broke the axle on, but right now the hill climbing ability is limited because of the center differential isn't locked yet. I wasn't able to climb the hill next to it that I was jumping. Im planning on getting that done and take it out to the local ORV park on new years day to get some good 4x4 action.

29. Little Digger

Little Digger Member

Greg, your truck isn't much taller than mine, 34" to top of wheel well. I didn't drive mine much without the transaxle diff locked, just around the house but I am sure it will make a huge difference! Have you made a belly pan or some kind of skid plate? I was thinking of just building up the oil pan's, I made a skid and did not like how it looked, to big. Have you had any thought's on what will work?

30. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I sure hope you guys aren't planing on using the Licolin transaxle locking system.
    I've been chewing the front diff lock idea back and forth. There are very few ideas out there that do not involve some very custom machining, but not a lot, and not very innovative.
    My own R&D has uncovered, a very integrated electronic controled ABS/traction control systems, a manual controled TCS, via e-brake, shuttle valves and/or line locks. Cutting breaks.

For the trans axle, I may have gone with my original idea that I had for the front diff. An automatic transmision clutch band on the carrier. Manual setting, auto set, or on-the-fly. I'm going to think about this for a while, but would like to see some ideas from you guys, if you're interested.

Wanted to get your ideas here, cuz I guess that my thread has turned into "the story of the week"...:pop:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011