1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine problem

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by chaseoe, Nov 7, 2011.

1. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

i have a sanfu mini truck and 3rd gear floored sounds like you need to shift but you put it in 4th an it bogs out and no matter what it tops out it 35mph what wrong?

2. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Governor? Size tires you have?

3. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

i dont know if it has a govener.
    and it has 20x8.00-10 lawn mower tires.
    and 35mph is on pavement

4. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

My guess is it has a governor. From everything I've read and heard from other guys you should have no problem going faster than that especially with those tires.

5. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

Well where would it be?

6. Trackwelder

Trackwelder New Member

Before anyone can answer that question, you will have to give make and year, if it is fuel injected you may have to find a way to reprogram it.

7. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

1983 sanfu

8. paulnixon

paulnixon New Member

As i know about the engine's Many in the industry of the automobile engine and skeptics. We have heard all the promises of reduced friction, engine durability and fuel economy. Repeatedly, they want to be the solutions do not meet expectations. With over thirty years in the field, I was a full blown skeptic with dozens of experience in oil additives "behind me.

9. downhere

downhere Member

And this is your brain on drugs!!!

10. Trackwelder

Trackwelder New Member

Pull the carburetor and look for a rstrictor plate, you may be able to just pull the air cleaner and look down the throat, check compression if you haven't already and look at the rotor under the distributer cap some are spring loaded even in normal vehicles, it wouldn't have a 4th gear if it couldn't pull it.

11. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

and it backfires sometimes and i think the timing is right.
    and it runs warm.

12. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

and it backfires and i think the timing is right.
    and the carb is sideways so you can look down it.

13. Trackwelder

Trackwelder New Member

Backfiring can be caused by something as simple as a carburetor adjusted too lean or as difficult as a flat lobe on a cam, if you are not mechanically inclined take it to an old mechanic who knows how to work on pre computer engines, the last simple fix would be to take off the valve cover and watch the valves as the engine is turned over, they all should go up and down the same amount, if they don't you are going to need a cam and a tappet

14. socsmm6

socsmm6 Member

backfires, no power and runs hot are all symtoms of timing problems. what makes you think it is timed correct?

15. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

It wouldn't run when I got it so I retimed it.I just check the compression and its 140 but it smoke and burn oil.why does it burn oil.I recheck the timing

16. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

I hooked up a timing light and it says I have to advance it 55 degrees would it run if it was that far off

17. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

It say it needs to be advanceed that farr to be right.

18. socsmm6

socsmm6 Member

did you disconnect and plug the vacuum advance? not sure but I don't think it will advance 55 degrees without adjusting the timing belt.:confused:

19. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

I unhooked it.and the point case so you can advance it is advanced all the way.

20. socsmm6

socsmm6 Member

I have been having a few issues with my truck also. truck wants to sputter when easing around in 1st gear and low rpm. I have moved the timing from 3 to 10 degrees btdc and everywhere inbetween. I had it running great a few days ago and then it started the sputtering again at low rpm in first gear. I think I have mine narrowed down to either a vacuum leak or trash in the carb.
    you have me stumped on your problem. post up if you get it worked out and let us know. good luck.

21. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

Try changing the plugs mind I just Got the timing right but it back fired and stuff changed the plugs and it quit.there cheap so it'd be worth a try

22. socsmm6

socsmm6 Member

I put ir plugs in it a couple of weeks ago and changed the fuel filter also

23. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

The timing is it 10* btdc like the manual says but it still bogs in 4th but it doesn't back fire

24. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool: