1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine needs new muffler

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by jwr, Oct 12, 2016.

1. jwr

jwr New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a Subaru Sambar 1993 660cc carb engine kv4 eno7 I am in need of a new muffler possibly a new carb as well running very rough. Does any know if the muffler will cause the vehicle to run poorly Breather is black with exhaust soot. no matter if I put a new one on.

This is sending that soot through the carb.

If any knows or can shed some light on this? I would greatly appreciate it. The problem started about 6 months ago when I first noticed the muffler/exhaust problem and has just gotten worse since then.

Thank you
    JWR

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

The black soot in the exhaust is an indication that you are running extremely rich - which will build up and restrict the muffler, so I would start by finding out why it is running rich, then go from there as once you get it running properly it should gradually clear out the muffler. If it has been running for a long time in a rich state there may be chunks of carbon holding the EGR valve open and this will disrupt the proper air/fuel mixture and cause some very rough running problems.

Fred

3. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

I think I would have to agree with Fred that it may be running rich. Try inspecting the plugs to see what condition they are. If they are all black with soot then that's your problem.

4. jwr

jwr New Member

Hey guys thanks for your help and quick reply, I will try the things you suggested and get back to you. Any idea how long it may take to clear out the muffler?

JWR

5. jwr

jwr New Member

Also wante to ask is there a way to spray carb cleaner directly into the carb and how do I do this?

Thanks JWR

6. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Yes you can spray carb cleaner directly into the carb but it wouldn't do much. The proper way would be to remove the carb for cleaning and rebuilding.