1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine bogs when throttle "punched"

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Livinadream, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Livinadream

Livinadream New Member

I just bought a 1996 hijet deckvan, and it runs very good, for the most part. under normal driving conditions you would never know there was a problem, but if you "punch" the throttle, the engine bogs down. I'm not sure if this started after I bought it or if it was doing it when I bought it because ive never had any reason to punch it. yesterday I got into a little mud and when I hit the gas pretty hard, instead of going, it bogged down. what might my issue be?

2. AngusII

AngusII New Member

Hello,
    Start with the least expensive.... Fuel filter, air filter and check your ignition system plugs, points, cap and rotor... Does your vacuum advance work correctly? Just those little things to check....

3. Livinadream

Livinadream New Member

im not sure what you're calling the vacuum advance? the truck runs/idles fine other than bogging when you punch the throttle hard.

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Need to check the acceleration pump in the carb. Sounds like yours needs to squirt a bit more. I am not familiar with your particular vehicle, some are adjustable, some are not. Could also be a leaking check ball in the pump circuit.

Fred