1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine battery warning light

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Vannie, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Vannie

Vannie New Member

Hi fellow owners

i took delivery of my 1998 Sambar with camper body kit just 3 weeks ago
    i’ve been on a long drive taking her camping and driven for over 200 miles round trip with regular breaks fine and not overdoing the speed.
    however yesterday on my short drive to the shops the battery warning light has come on.
    i know the battery is very new was only installed the day before my purchase so i’m wondering if it could be the alternator?
    i’ve searched the threads and cannot find any topics on this.
    as this is a rear engined vehicle and is hidden away under the body kit i’m wondering what areas i should check? hoping it’s just a noose connection somewhere?
    any help or guidance appreciated.

2. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

The battery warning light does not mean a bad battery, it means the charging system isn't working. You could check the main fuse by the battery and then at the alternator check for power on the white, red and black/white wires.

3. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Yep the easiest thing is to verify it with a voltmeter. Should be 12v or so off and then jump up to 14 or so when running.

4. Vannie

Vannie New Member

hi Guys, didn’t get the chance to check with the voltmeter today but had a quick look at the battery and it seems the earth terminal was a little loose.
    i’ve tightened this evening and looking to take her round the block to see if it still happens