1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endless Talk about Tires

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Samurai9, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I actually have three complete sets of tires for my Hijet:

25 inch Rawhide Grip (came on the truck but I put narrower ones at front)
    c. 23 inch Nanco Super Lug on used OEM wheels (tires bought new)
    c. 21 inch OEM tires (bought used on used OEM wheels)

I am not really happy with any of these. The Rawhides at the front are hitting the body quite a bit. The rubbing seems to be increasing. The Nanco's do not hit but these and the Rawhides appear to be mud tires and I drive almost entirely on hard surfaces--rocky trail or paved road. I do drive a little on soil but almost never on mud. I am not sure that really aggressive mud tires are what I need for my purposes. The little OEM tires are good on the road but useless going up hills. I would like to get a tire that will never rub, that is good at climbing up a steep rocky hill, and that is decent on paved roads. I keep looking at Carlisle All Trail but am not sure that this tire would do the trick. I have also considered Carlisle Turf tires (intended for golf courses and the like), but these might be all wrong for a mini truck. If I get more tires they will be no bigger than 24 inches to help with the rubbing and possibly 23 inches just to be sure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam

2. highnoonhunter

highnoonhunter New Member

Hi am,

I don't have a mini truck, but I do have some experience with the Rawhides. I have an ATV that I got from my dad. He gave me a brand new set of 25 inch rear tires and wheels. They're Rawhides. I asked him if he didn't want to keep them because he had two other ATV's they would fit, and he said: I can't get up my hunting trail with them!

His trail has lots of rocks about the size of pie-plates. He said the Rawhides just sit and spin on the rocks.

I wasn't that I didn't believe him, but I thought the tires looked cool so I put them back on. One day of riding and the other tires are back on now. I would be willing to bet that the All Trails would be 10 times better if you have a lot of rocks and hard pack that you travel.

The tires I have have on my ATV are 489's I think. I believe they are Carlisle's too. But they're nowhere close to being an agressive tread, and they will go better in any terrain than the Rawhides except mud.

hnh

3. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

I did a bunch of research and settled on and just bought Carlisle All Trails (23/8/12) and wheels and a lift kit from G&R Imports. Just installed the lift kit this afternoon (really easy) and now I'm waiting on my lost tire to show up (one apparently fell out of the box in shipping.) G&R was great about answering my questions about installing the lift kit and they are having another tire shipped to me. Fantastic service :)

All of the other ATV-type tires I considered were not rated for the load the All Trails are. Since my truck is primarily for ranch work, I need it to be able to carry its designed weight safely.

4. Suzi-q

Suzi-q New Member

All Trails work well

It sounds like 23x8x12 All Trails would be good for you. I have them on my Suzi and they are a great compromise.
    Is there a better mud tire? I'm sure there is. Here in Georgia our red clay turns into slick, sticky goo when wet. It fills the treads of the All Trails and you have four doughnuts. Be sure to put the windows up the next time you get up to speed!
    Other than goey mud, they do a great job off road. The on road performance is not as good as a set of street radials but tolerable. They do seem to flat spot if left sitting too long. Not a big deal really, they round back out after a few miles. They don't have the chunky ride some of the lug tires do. You will still have to find a tire pressure that is a happy medium for on and off road.
    My only concern about the All Trails would be speed rating for street use. I have no reason to doubt them but I have never seen a speed rating for them - anybody?

5. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Am I right in assuming that the All Trail is really an "all terrain" tire that conveniently will go on a 12 inch wheel? I think what I really need is a good all terrain tire but few of them are made for 12 inch wheels.

Of course, I would like to find a tire that would be safe at 50 or 60 mph--if I ever went that fast.

Thanks,

Samurai

6. jay woods

jay woods Member

Saumari, If you ever consider selling the nanco's and rims let me know. I use mine only in the mud.

Jay