1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric conversion?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by dmerc, Sep 26, 2008.

1. myazel

myazel Member

You have to keep in mind that the torque curve of an electric motor is high at the start and then tapers off so acceleration should not be an issue although it will affect the range of the vehicle. I see converting one of these trucks to electric would be very useful as a runaround vehicle used close to home or for a daily commute. There layout lends them to an easy conversion along with there light weight. If converting one made it "Street Legal" then there is a huge plus.

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Electric motors are more powerful than gas or diesel engines, it's the batteries that are the weak point of EV's (low energy compared to gasoline or diesel fuels).

I would imagine that you might actually see a performance increase with an electric motor...much better low end torque and it might fare better at high speeds too (since the motor can rev pretty high as well). Less range would be the main issue, but if you're only driving 20-30k a day (double that if you can recharge at your destination) it shouldn't be an issue.

You might be able to classify it as a "hobby vehicle" (the same classification as hotrods and vintage cars) which would make it street legal for 11 months out of the year. I think that might vary per state, but usually you can't drive them in January or something. The EPA certainly couldn't say jack about its emmissions!

3. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Gold Supporting Member

A customer here converted a 2WD Daihatsu. Quite amazing. tons of torque. Spins the wheels like mad even with all the batteries.

He even has electric heat and has driven it in -35 degree weather. He is planning on developing the system into marketable kit. I love it. I want one already.

Of course street legal here in Canada.

4. zardoz

zardoz Member

Are you serious?

Have you seen the little yellow EV that is built in the states? The guy that builds them will NOT even put a radio in the car... it goes just WAY too fast to take your hands/hand off the wheel even to tune in a station... oh yeah.. no cup holders for the same reason. I think his cars are going for about a 1/4 mill... just because you have the money.. he may not sell you one, he's "picky" about who gets to drive these things. This car beat the snot out of a Ferrari in the quarter mile...

z

5. Griz

Griz Member

A customer here converted a 2WD Daihatsu. Quite amazing. tons of torque. Spins the wheels like mad even with all the batteries.

He even has electric heat and has driven it in -35 degree weather. He is planning on developing the system into marketable kit. I love it. I want one already.

Of course street legal here in Canada.

6. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Gold Supporting Member

He has 2 more conversions in the works. I think he is still looking for the best combination and ease of install.

His name is Pat. contact him at patb @ sbccase.com

I am sure he will like to chat about it.

7. From the wee bit of research I have done on electric conversions you want a veichle that is good on fuel to begin with, you will go further. Something this small with 6-8 batteries I am guessing should have a range or 80-100 km, maybe more?

What was the guy in saskatoon getting for range?

8. Look at the Tesla 90k Ferrari beater, 210 km/h, 400 km on a charge, 2.5 hours to charge. 0-60 is somewhere in the 3s, 3.5 i believe. 6000 laptop batteries.

9. Griz

Griz Member

10. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

does he have a website going yet?