1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Efi...

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by unclejemima, Sep 22, 2007.

1. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

When did they switch from Carburated to EFI on the Honda Acty's???
    Thanks!
    -mark

2. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Has anyone ever seen a electronic fuel injected acty?
    -mark

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Well, I was waiting for one of our dealer members to pipe in here but most of the trucks made the switch to EFI in 1999. Same time many of them went away from the "cab over" style. But that's not a definitive answer!

4. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thank you kindly,
    I can believe it took that long for them to get EFI!
    Thanks for the response,
    -mark

5. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

Its a shame they took so long to switch over.. Fuel injection would be a lot less problematic for emission tests and gas consumption on these vehicles..

Incidentally, I imported a couple 1991 Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo vans.. One was fuel injected while the other one wasn't.. The fuel injected version had a redline of 9,000RPM!!!

6. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I agree!
    What size motor was in the Mitsubishi Minicab Bravo vans? Auto or 5spd?
    Interesting!
    -mark

7. I just got a '99 Acty with fuel injection. What a difference that makes. I also got a '99 Mitsu and 2000 Suzuki - all FI. The Honda is the best of the bunch in my opinion. Haven't had much seat time in any of them, but first impressions the Honda wins hands down. Lots more power and pickup.

8. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Interesting. So 1999 must have been the change over year to EFI???
    Jason, your a lucky guy! If you have a chance to take some engine pics, please post!!!
    I wish we could purchase those, ours have to be 15years or older, so i can only buy a 1992 honda acty this year:( I'll just have to wait 5 years ;) to get my EFI model!
    Take care,
    -mark

-mark

9. If I get a chance, I'll post some pics. I've got some basic pics on my website. The front looks a lot like a Scion. It's a very nice truck. Wolfman came over the other day and took it for a spin as well. Maybe he'll chime in with his quick impressions.

10. Pictures

Here's a couple of pictures of the engine compartment for you to drool over:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I can do that. :D

I didn't take the truck on the roads, just buzzed around on the open area around the industrial complex. The truck felt like it had alot more low end grunt than my Hijet. The cab is also MUCH nicer inside. I can get in with plenty of space, where I have to slide into my truck. That extra couple of inches is a godsend. The clutch on this one engages while almost still on the floor, so I had some jerky starts. I could get used to that quickly enough. I like the dinky little hood on the front, as it makes accessing the radiator easier than having to mess with the seats. Speaking of the seats, they were night and day better than the ones in my truck. However, the cushions are pretty broken down in mine. My overall impression is that if I would have had the cash on hand, I would have driven it home on the spot. I miss having A/C. I would also much prefer the EFI over the carb any day.

12. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

nothing wrong with that! Can i get an AMEN on the EFI!:D
    -mark

13. hamradio

hamradio Member

I wonder if/how much difference it would make to put megasquirt on an older truck?

14. Scott-N-GA

Scott-N-GA New Member

Looking at my Hi-jet I thought of megasquirt in about 30 seconds.
    You could really play with the program and make one run I belive.

Scott

15. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I don't know how much it would cost - probably better off to buy an EFI truck and forget it.

16. hamradio

hamradio Member

But, it'd be fun to do! :D And fully customizable. One could get a GM in tank sensor for e85, hook it up to the ms, and have it run a different fuel map or whatever it is, for ethanol.

17. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I agree, thou it would be doable...it would be ALOT of work!

Thanks for the pics of the engine bay NorthTexasMiniTrucks!:D Now i have something to look forward to!

-mark