1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFI Update?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by KCCats, Nov 27, 2016.

1. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Has anyone ever replaced the carb with the Geo fuel injection system?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

There was a thread some time ago in the references section where "Oldtractorfixer" wanted to do the same. Haven't heard any more so I don't know what has transpired with him. I have been doing some thinking about this also just as an in case cause I don't understand factory EFI and I don't know if any 'mechanics' here in the Philippines do either. I have been reading and thinking about the Ecotron small engine unit as it covers up to 800cc engines and seems to be a ready to run setup. I do need to contact them to find out more. If you contact them, post what you find out, or any other info you can uncover.

Fred.

3. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I was hoping to take the wiring and the computer from a 3 cyl metro and the throttle body and fuel pump, and swap out the carb?
    Could that work?
    Im sure I would have to add the O2 sensor as well?
    Anything else?

4. fmartin_gila

It might, but you would have to get ALL the sensors in order for it to work right. The Metro was a 1000 cc engine but as long as you had the O2 sensor installed, it would probably not overfuel. I seem to remember that the Metro computer had an input from the 5 spd trans along with the other inputs so I don't know how that would affect what you are considering. Keep in mind if you do look in Junkyards that the Metro came with a 5 spd or a 3 spd automatic. The fuel rail may or may not work as is depending on the cylinder spacing, I do not remember what the distance was from cylinder center to cylinder center spacing. It is possible that the Metro used hoses instead of a fuel rail which would eliminate this particular matter of concern. The last Metro that I owned was about 15 years ago and things are a bit fuzzy about it. I realize that it might cost quite a bit less if you could find what you need in a junkyard or an old Metro you might pick up to rob the EFI system off of but the reason I am considering the Ecotron unit is that it supposedly could be installed and will run out of the box, then you can tweak it somewhat. The price is not too bad when you consider that it is a complete system.

Whereabouts in Az are you? I moved to Az in 1968 and lived in Phoenix, Flagstaff, Prescott and lastly Globe before I moved to the Phils somewhat over 2 years ago.

Fred

5. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I am talking about the metro with the throttle body, not the multi port.
    Im in North central Illinois.
    Do you have a link to that system?

6. fmartin_gila

OK, for some reason I thought you were in Az. Also don't know why I was thinking about the fuel rail when you had mentioned the throttle body already.
    Go to www.ecotrons.com There is a index on the left margin, go down and hover the cursor on small engine EFI kits and another index will appear then select the 400 to 800 cc unit. Seems to be a stand alone system that can be installed on quite a few different engines. See what you think. You can download and read the installation manual too.

Fred

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  7. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

OK I have not had mine down yet, but see the flaw in my idea! (side draft)
    But even more doable would be the efi system off of a Arctic Cat snowmobile (my line of work)
    The Big difference is the Cat Natural aspirated system is rated at 80hp!
    There is a Turbo 660 as well, just don't think it would fit and really 124 hp might be too much!

8. fmartin_gila

Are you familiar enough with the construction of the K6a(if this is the engine you have in your vehicle, the earlier ones were F6a) engine to know if the heads could be interchanged or the manifold, depending on where the injectors are mounted? The bottom end of the K6a is surely sturdy enough because of the way it is built up and the main bearings supported. Unless there is something I do not understand(which is a very good possibility), why should the side draft be a flaw? The EFI works by pressure in the system and not by suction and fuel level in the bowl as in a carb and I would think that it could spray sideways just as well as down and may only need a fabricated adapter from the throttle body to the manifold. 80 Hp would be quite a jump from stock, but is that hp rating possible in a higher RPM band than what the stock rating may be? Here in the Phils, traffic does not run that fast so I have no need to improve the performance any, what you want to do is very interesting to me as a matter of curiosity. I have done quite a bit of "hot rodding" many years ago in my past during the 50s thru the 80s and mostly with American Iron and VWs but all that I know about would be considered old school these days. I retired as a Fleet Mechanic in 1990 and am not familiar at all with the newer vehicles with all the electronic bell & whistles and so many of the vehicle functions being computer controlled.

Fred

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Well originally I was thinking of the Metro throttle body efi, that is a down draft!
    I believe the Arctic Cat has 3 individual side draft throttle bodies( syced together) and a common rail!
    It also features a dry sump oiling system.

10. Hegels

Hegels New Member

When I get my kei truck (sometime down the road not sure when) I will be using the microsquirt efi controller with a TBI from something similar in size to the carb. seems the simplest to me

11. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Yes and the one Fred mentioned was about $800?

But that wont gain you any hp?

Im talking about the intake and exhaust combo with the computer and all, to make it 80HP!

I am looking into just how plug and play that could be?