1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EF-GS Engine Information?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by prkr, Dec 13, 2022.

1. prkr

prkr New Member

Hello everyone! I purchased a '97 Daihatsu Atrai Classic with the EF-GS engine a few weeks ago and it really seems like there is little to no info out there. I currently can't find anything besides spark plug part numbers and was wondering if anyone here had any service manuals or just any info on it at all. I'm loving the van so far but want to start working on maintenance as soon as possible. Thanks!

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Active Member

I just got a 1996 Hijet with the Twincam 12V badges and the EF-GS engine. I hesitated a bit before buying it. A Hijet is weird enough in the US that it's going to be problematic to find parts, but the earlier DOHC version is even more of an odd duck, making parts even harder to find. Many parts such as oil filters and air filters are probably the same as the SOHC Hijet engines but the timing belt is obviously different. The trick is knowing what parts are the same and what aren't.

I'm slowly amassing a list of Daihatsu part numbers for my truck. I spent all night doing online research until I finally found the part numbers for the various clutch parts. They're the same as the other S110P trucks. I put all of the part numbers on my Hijet project thread so others can search the forum and find the list and hopefully save several hours.

I just decoded the Daihatsu spark plug chart enough to find their recommendations of spark plugs for my EF-GS engine. That required 40 minutes of Japanese to English translation and decyphering the Japanese calendar. I'll use that understanding to decode the entire Hijet section and post that on my project thread as well so anyone with a Hijet can benefit.

My best suggestions for you would be to buy from a US seller of mini truck parts such as G&R Imports (https://www.grimports.com/daihatsu-parts) where knowledgeable folks can help you get the correct parts for your weird little van, or if you know the exact parts you need, punch the numbers directly into a Japanese car parts exporter such as Impex Japan (https://en.impex-jp.com) and wait a couple of weeks.

Huge thanks to shogun for the links. I was able to download the parts manual that has Hijet part numbers on exploded diagrams. My all night of clutch research finally culminated in finding a few nearly illegible very low resolution images from that manual online. Now I have the full manual and I can find the part numbers much faster.

shogun likes this.