1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edmonton Kei Truck Owners.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jreay, Dec 9, 2010.

1. jreay

jreay New Member

I'm looking for some Albert residents that have registered their kei truck's without import papers? I didn't know about these before i bought the vehicle.. Kind of sucks. Wondering where you went to get it registered.

Thanks

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I don't know that you need "import papers" per se but you will need some sort of bill of sale and an out of province inspection to register and insure it.

Here's a blurb that the dealer I bought it from explained:
    Technically this would apply to ANY vehicle not from Alberta (like say Saskatchewan) and doesn't care if it's a Japanese import (unless it's newer than 15 years old, which is the import cutoff).

3. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

The reason they want the import papers is because it has never been registered in canada. Had it come previously registered from any other province it would not need the import paperwork.

This is to verify the vehicle has been properly and legally imported. Which of course many haven't.

CBSA and TC should have a copy of the FORM 1 if it has been imported properly. However, I have no idea how difficult it would be to get a copy from the Feds. Not easy I imagine.

Call CBSA and explain the situation. Make sure to have the year, make, model, vin handy. Also knowing who the original importer is may be important. The person you bought it from may not be the original importer.

4. jreay

jreay New Member

Thank you, i'm calling the original importer tomorrow to find out and if he can't give me a straight answer then i will call CBSA.

5. jreay

jreay New Member

so after spending over 2 hours on the phone i was told that since the kei truck is older then 15 years, all i have to do is take my truck to the airport here in edmonton and "import" my truck and fill out the form 1. Good news. I tried to go the registry again though without the form 1 and say that they told me that i didn't need it.. End story of it all, the girl that was helping me was very helpful and made a couple phone calls and got the CBSA to fax out my form 1. It was too dark to read though so she faxed it back asking for it to be brightened up. They faxed back with a phone number and to call them and there was no answer.

I'm still not registered :(