1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dump Bed Tail Gate

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by warren farmer, May 20, 2018.

1. warren farmer

warren farmer New Member

Got a DB51T with a dump bed. When you release the top hinges and dump the bed, tail gate falls off by design. I see there are adjustable pawls on each side. Before I get into several tries to adjust, is this thing designed with enough adjustment to get the pawls to hold on to the gate in a dump when top hinges are released. Any info on how to reasonably fix/adjust would be helpful. Just got the truck, new to this world so please excuse the question. Thanks.

2. BIff

BIff New Member

Man I have the same problem. I hope someone solved it. Although i suspect we are missing something that goes on the bottom of each side of the tailgate and kinda winds itself into those brackets when the tailgate opens from the top to keep it attached. I been experimentimg on flat hooks and i think i'm close.

3. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Yes the bottom should hold the tailgate on when dumping when the top hinges are undone with the bed in the down position and the tail gate all the way down covering the tail lights . If you undo the top mounts and leave the tail gate up it will dump the tail gate off when raised . ( my 78 year old dad burys it under the load every time he uses it

4. warren farmer

warren farmer New Member

5. warren farmer

warren farmer New Member

How do you get the tailgate to stay on when the top hinges are released and the bed raised? There does not appear to be enough adjustment on the bars to allow them to hold onto the bottom and act as a hinge. Is there a piece missing or does something have to fabricated to make the tailgate stay on? Thanks.

6. BIff

BIff New Member

Don"t know I tried Koffer's suggestion to no avail. I just have my son pick it up

7. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

I’ll try to get a picture of it , it’s at my dads place and see about shooting by there today during work

8. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

9. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

10. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Hope these help a little

11. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Looks like you are wanting to do something that it was not designed to do. I ran 18 wheeler dumps for many years and all were designed to pivot at the top during the dumping process. When dumping, the bed should merely be lifted up and the mechanism at the bottom of the tailgate will automaticly unlock the bottom and allow it to pivot at the top and the load will flow out with the tailgate on top of the dumped load.

Fred

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Ten and six wheelers typically can be latched top or bottom depending on what you’re hauling. Smaller rock, gravels, and sands that you need to spread: top pivot, and the bottom gated with chains to control the spread rate.

Large rocks, construction debris, and pipe or culverts for the new projects: bottom hinged, with the chains used to keep the gate in line with the bottom of the bed.

The pictures show the typical small dump truck hinge configuration.

13. BIff

BIff New Member

Helps alot thanx for going out of your way to take these pics.

My dump doesn't have the extra hook and L shaped pin on the side of the the bottom hinge. It doesnt look like it was ever there on either side. All the parts are original so i dont get it. I took pics but they're too large to post. I'll adjust my phone and take and post tomorrow.

Thanx again bruh,

14. warren farmer

warren farmer New Member

15. warren farmer

warren farmer New Member

Mine doesn’t have the extra hooks either. That appears to be what holds it on. The spring loaded arm won’t ever hold it on by itself in a dump with the top hinges released. I’m trimming down a washer to fit around the round horizontal pivot bar. Then I’m going to tack weld the trimmed washer to the open ended “ears” on each side. It won’t open from the bottom anymore but it will swing down and stay attached on a dump with the top hinges released.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018