1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drift Sambar Project (questions, then build thread)

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by WELDER, Jan 16, 2010.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Look at the intake ....is there a carb attached??:confused:..as far as I can tell only forced induction motors were efi...naturally aspirated had a carb

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. WELDER

WELDER Member

It is carbed :)

So, can I switch to a throttle body off, perhaps, a sled or quad?

Adapting isn't a problem, fabbing up adapters is easy, but as for what parts to use, I'm pretty much stopped dead.

3. fupabox

I would think the easier solution would be to keep your carb and make it a blow through system...you will need to enlarge the jets for more fuel..even possible that you will need a larger carb with a higher cfm.......if you only plan on a small ammount of boost I would suspect the carb will handle it with a rejet.You are prob. not going to beef up the bottom end so I wpould stay away from too much boost anyway..you will also need to address compression ratios as a nat aspirated engine will run a higher compression ratio without pinging..just dialing the timing back would achieve the same result as lowering the comp ratio (essentially not exactly) but would kill any performance gains made by the supercharger...changing to efi may be more trouble than it is worth as you will need different sensors etc. to get it running properly..would it need a speedo pickup for the efi computer?? depending on the system it may need more.. MAP..MAF..TPS..Crank sensor ar cam sensor...coolant temp..fuel pump and line would need replacing as injected fuel lines are under much higher pressure...fuel pressure regulator. Even a simpler Throttle body injection is going to need a ton of sensors to monitor how it is preforming..I'm not trying to discourage ..just want to make sure you know what you are getting into..good luck and keep us posted:pop:

4. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks fupa. I'll probably keep searching for something similar to those aircraft TBI units. If not, I'll see what sort of small engines run a tbi setup...two auto wreckers beside work :)

On a side note. Please keep this flow of knowledge coming. You are not discouraging me at all, but making this build a lot easier.

I WILL get it figured :D

5. fupabox

6. WELDER

WELDER Member

This is a definite option. The only reason I'm shying away from a carb of any sort, is that I don't know how a float reacts to boost pressure.

7. fupabox

boost pressure has no bearing on how a carb float behaves...the float is merely a valve to keep a constant level of fuel ready for the carb to use....Carbs. work on the Bernoulli principle(same as an aircraft wing)..as air rushes through it creates a negative pressure (vacuum) and sucks fuel into the airstream to mix with the incoming air. there are other things like idle enrichment circuits, accelerator pumps,chokes etc. but the same principle applies to most carbs....So with turbocharging (blow through) you are just jamming more air through the carb. and it needs to be able to flow enough fuel to match the ammount of air...this is where jets come into play..they meter the ammount of fuel that can be sucked into the airstream..when the ammount of air you suck in exceeds the capacity of the jet you get a lean (hot and dangerous) mixture3 and need a larger jet size to correct...too large and you run rich..which kills power and creates deposits .....not a thorough scientific explanation ..but just some basics

8. WELDER

WELDER Member

Couldn't have asked for it explained any better. So these little guys are only missing one thing...fuel pressure, or in this case, how much fuel is coming out of that little "extra jet" being matched to air flow/pressure via a sort of vacuum fuel pressure regulator...like the one that's in the mail:D

I don't know if that regulator will work or not. The good thing is, I can run a monster carb from a big quad or sled.

9. fupabox

I must say I was wrong about the blowthrough having no effect though..just speaking to a friend and he says it will affect the float...not sure how but I need to do some research...I don't want to pass on bad info...I know I have seen blowthrough systems in the past that seemed to work well...suck through systems are a bomb ready to explode as you are sucking a fuel filled mixture into a compressed heated space....going to do some research and get back to ya

10. fupabox

My brain was farting...i was confusing airflow with air pressure...which of course will have an effect on the float.no fuel will come out as the pressure will push it back in....I'm assuming in this case there must be some method of pressurizing the float chamber to keep it at a higher pressure than the intake air..elecrtic fuel pump maybe...I haven't had much time to read up on any of this much but want to correct my first response which was basically WRONG:eek: hate being wrong gggrrrrr

11. WELDER

WELDER Member

No worries, seems like we found the same info around the same time:p

I agree with you on the draw-through system, kills the turbo as well.

I'll see what the guys at Affordable fuel injection can cook up.

Any sort of card that WOULD work with a turbo system and a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator would do the trick a lot cheaper though.

12. fupabox

13. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks fupa. I was already pointed to that forum by the guy(s) at DIYautotune:) I picked up my TBI assy, so just waiting on parts.

14. WELDER

WELDER Member

Ok!

Turbo, intercooler, BOV, FPR kit and some extra stuff arrived.

Time to get the build going, BUT, before that, another question.

For the compressor, where can I get pressurized oil from? Does anyone care to tell me where the oil pump is, or where I can find a line with pressurized oil in it?

For a return, I'll be plumbing it into the valve cover :)

Thanks in advance.

15. fupabox

you should be able to tap/tee into the oil pressure sensor...not sure where it is on your truck...but that would be your only pressurized oil source

16. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks fupa, I knew I could count on you.

I'm sure that once I get the box off, it will be a snap to find it.

Jaliyl

17. WELDER

WELDER Member

Well well boys/girls, I now have the turbo stuff, and my Megasquirt came in the mail today!

I'm going to go buy another 1 ton to drive during the build, then use it for winter...then I will start the build.

I can't explain how excited I am about trying this, but what could possibly go wrong? :D

I'll start the new thread the day I swap insurance and such.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

18. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

You know I'm watching! :pop:

19. WELDER

WELDER Member

I'm not going to lie...getting the box off, in my opinion, is the hardest part of this entire build.

Haha, starting it off with a bang!

Once the box is off, and everything can be seen clearly, it's picture time :)

20. WELDER

WELDER Member

Got the damn thing off, it's not going back on... way too much work.

I'll figure out how to upload pics to my profile so we can get going tomorrow with the new thread :)

21. WELDER

WELDER Member

HO-LY F**K!

Sorry for going MIA there boys.

Between work, working on one of my new trucks(fullsize, not KEI ;) ), schooling myself endlessly in Mega Squirt tech, tracking down parts and forever ordering things for "Goliath the drift Sambar", I haven't had any time to visit the site.

Update:

Right now, the box is off...along with all the natural aspirated fuel/air components.

I have my plenum fabbed up; looks pretty noice.

AND, have a few grand worth of parts sitting in boxes :D

I ended up buying a scavenging pump for my turbo, as it is very hard to get oil back to the pan (in a straight line) on and engine that is on its side :frustration:

BUT, once I get my switches in the mail and fab my new exhaust header, I promise to make time to post lots of pics.

In the mean time, if you care to see what it looked like a few weeks ago with the box off, or maybe some of the turbo parts check out the albums on my pinkbike page............don't ask why I put the pics there.....free image hosting that supports my high res pics:D

http://jaliyl.pinkbike.com/

Have a good one everyone, and I am truly sorry:p

22. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Sweet!! Glad to see you being MIA doesn't mean the project's canceled or that you're in jail or something :p

23. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Guest

Maybe just out on work pass??

24. WELDER

WELDER Member

I received my Lulu manual today!!! :)

I think I know where to cap off the coolant now.