1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door pulls and window cranks

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by jaykay, Dec 24, 2007.

1. jaykay

jaykay New Member

I need some help on removing the door pulls and window cranks without tearing something up. I want to re-uphoster the side paels in camo.

2. slimbad

slimbad Member

Jaykay,

I have a 94 mits and I took the panels off so I could paint the door interiors and door jambs (OD-green). On the mits (prob similar to all Kei-trucks) it was pretty simple.

Remove 2 screws holding the door pull on.

The window crank has a C-clip on the shaft- push in on the panel around the crank and take a small flathead screwdriver and push back on clip to remove it from around the crank (be careful that it doesn't pop off and fly away).

The door opener handle stays on. Just remove the trim around it (rectangular plastic piece- its just snapped in and you can use screwdriver to gently pry off).

The panel itself has 8-10 plastic/nylon snap in fasteners around the edge. Use something like a wide screwdriver/wood chisel and pry these out of the door itself. You want these fasteners to stay on the panel.

Then pull the panel off (it will come out over the door opening handle).

At this point you can recover/camo it.

To replace put the panel back over the door opener, line up your snap in fasteners and press/snap them back into the holes in the door, screw your door pull/handle back on. For the window crank - make sure you put the trim ring/plastic back on (goes between the crank and the panel - if you
    have one). Put the little C-clip on the crank then press it back onto the shaft (you might have to tap it on with your hand - the C-clip will flex open and snap back over the shaft).

I personally didn't like the thin press board type panel material so I took a piece of Luan (3/16th or 1/4 inch paneling type wood and used my panels as a pattern and cut out new panels. However if you do this you can't use your fasteners from the old panels (six zap screws worked fine for me). I stained the wood brown. I think it looks ok, once I'm finished I'll post some pics of my mits. These trucks are like tinker-toys, you can make what you want out of them.

I hope this helps and you have a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year....Later.......Slim

3. jaykay

jaykay New Member

Thanks a lot Slim! That is some great detailed advice. I am a little less skiddish now about removing the panels.

4. jaykay

jaykay New Member

I followed your instructions and everything worked fine. One minor detail on the door pull, though. The Suzuki model differs from yours in that the door pull trim snaps in and out by sliding toward the front of the truck and then out. Just a fine print note for those wanting to do this upgrade.

5. slimbad

slimbad Member

Good to hear everything worked out with your door panels. Also glad to see you took the time to provide feedback on the difference in the trim on your suzu vs mits. Anybody can have a standard white/white keitruck with grey vinyl interior. After that it's the tweaking that gives them their personality.

later......Slim

6. Qarle

Qarle New Member

Very easy but the clips in the cranks are bitches to get back on.

7. 47knuk

47knuk New Member

If the clips are the standard "U" shape.....You install them on the crank handle first, then position the handle on the shaft and "pop" it on with the palm of your hand.....