1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your gas pump shut off?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by thefuzz783, Aug 20, 2008.

1. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

On my Subaru the fuel filler is just a big hole, the same size as the gas cap. It doesn't have a smaller hole like a passenger car (just bigger than the pump nozzle). So when I fill up, the fumes don't accumulate enough to shut the pump off. Are all mini's like this?

I'm doing pretty good at guessing by just listening, but I know one of these times I won't be paying attention:)

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i have the same kind of fuel filler you have. (it was handly having the big hole, mine got bent when i got hit and it had plenty of room to get a big pipe in there to straighten it back out.) but, here in phoenix we have the vapor recovery boot over the pump nozzle so the size of the fuel fill opening doesn't even come into play. mine always shuts off before it over flows.

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

When filling my 1990 Sambar the auto-off turns the pump off too soon. I have to fill by hand and rather slowly... I never really know if I am getting a full tank!

4. jtpc

jtpc Member

Mine is like a normal automobile and has the smaller hole.
    But mine is a newer Subaru.

5. MGeorge1972

MGeorge1972 Member

Actually never filled mine up at a gas station. Since mine is used exclusively for hunting it get filled up with a 5 gallon can. If my gauge ever malfunctions I'm screwed.........

6. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

My '91 = big hole as well

7. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

For what its worth... Its called a fuel inlet restrictor. It keeps drivers from putting cetain types of fuel into their cars, (i.e. Diesel), the pump nosels are different sizes for different types of fuel. Here in some TN counties its required to pass emissions tests.

-Greg