1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know the towing capacity

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by rshier, Jul 22, 2009.

1. rshier

rshier New Member

of a 92 Suzuki carry?? thinking of attaching small hitch??

2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Towing capacity of a Japanese Mini Truck

1200 to 1500# should be within the ability of the Mini Truck.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Never seen anything written on towing capacity from any of the manufactures, never seen any pictures from Japan showing a mini pulling a trailer. The makers never beefed up the back end to install a hitch. They never intended the trucks to pull anything. I did pull a heavy duty 80" x 14' trailer, tandem axle with 10 bales of hay and 8 kids with a early 90's Suzuki. It was absolutely to much for truck. The trailer itself was to much. I think MichTrucks is close, 1200 lbs max. (trailer + load)
    when you hear someone say 1500 lbs load cap. in bed, they are blowing smoke up your skirt. A standard 1990's truck bed capacity. is 700/800 lbs. Not sure about the newer trucks.

509er likes this.
  4. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Very true on bed load capacity. While I carry 1500 to 1700# all the time in one of our trucks the RATED capacity is 770 lbs. It takes the trucks out of the ATV/ UTV arena if the capacity is listed greater. So the official capacity is 770 lbs. The same with the new trucks also.

5. rshier

rshier New Member

Thanks for the info Steven, I use my 92 carry for my gardening business, I've customized
    a rack that carries all my equipment, but what I'd like to beable to do is tow a small ATV
    trailer with a garden tractor???

Cheers!
    Renee

6. Ravk

Ravk Member

A good rule of thumb is if the loaded trailer is heaver than your towing vehicle, it need brakes of its own. Would you trust your brakes to handle twice its rated capacity?

Robert

7. rshier

rshier New Member

Thanks for this Robert...I'll be under the weight of the truck with the lawn tractor &
    trailer..

Renee

8. treknavigator

treknavigator New Member

suzuki carry

1202 lbs scale weights that the load i have had on

9. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

I have towed an empty 10' utility trailer (like lawn maintenance types use) around our little ranch a bit and the Carry did fine with it. Forgot what the trailer weighs.

10. jclee

jclee Member

I pulled my 18' lowboy with a 4'x6' deer stand and 3000 # of corn this passed weekend.It did fine.I put a hitch on it a few weeks ago.It works great.If you would like some pictures of the hitch let me know.

11. zardoz

zardoz Member

Yes please :)

I for one would like very much to see your hitch design, would like to build a hitch for my 93 "Crunchy Frog" (carry ;) )

z

12. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Jclee;

I too would like to see the hitch design.
    Thanks

13. aeroshots

aeroshots Member

Did someone say something about the trailer being bigger and weighing more than the tow vehicle?:confused:
    I did not have a mini truck back then--I do now so guess I need a bigger trailer.
    Actually this was the trailer I used to transport my truck.
    A good addage would be; if your truck fits on the trailer--the truck should not pull the trailer. Loaded anyway.:p
    I do have the perfect mini truck trailer. Dual axle atv tires, brakes and tilt bed. I will post a picture when it is painted up to match my Suki.

Attached Files:

14. jclee

jclee Member

hitch

I took a old hitch that came off a old CMC truck and cut it to fit between the rear spring hangers,then I put a piece of 1 1/4" x1/4" flat bar above it and welded it to the round tubing that is between the frame rails and welded it all out.The trailer that is hooked to my truck is 6' x10' and the tracktor weights over 1300# and it pulls it great and stops well.I got a 4" drop hitch and it places the ball base at 17".You have to redo the gas tank hanger.I sat the gas tank on 2 jack stands to hold the while I fit the hitch on then cut off the gas tank holder to fit it to weld to the hitch.It was very eazy and took about 2 1/2 hours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    kip thompson likes this.
  15. zardoz

zardoz Member

Thanks jclee, now I'm off to find myself an old hitch ;)

z

16. project_x

project_x Member

Here is my rear bumper,

I used 3/8" plate cut in an L shape for the hanger. I cut a hole out for the fram e support, and fastened to the truck with Tek screws. I then welded around the frame round support (not shown in this pic)
    [​IMG]

For the rear bumper, I used a piece of C5 (C4-C6 would all work equally well). I cut a hole out in the center to put the receiver through (purchased from princess auto, about $9.99 on sale). The pin for the receiver actually gets inserted behind the bumper, to leave the front as clean as possible, and to stop the hitch from sticking out too much from the truck. I made tabs out of 1/4" plate to fasten the bumper to the hanger with bolts. Due to the fact that my dimensional requirements were pretty loose, I was able to get a deal on all the odds and ends of steel at a steel supplier, and the whole bumper cost me about $55 including the receiver.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This serves two purposes on my carry, one as a hitch, and the other as bumper to protect the gas tank from hitting anything (particularly the trailer hitch when I'm backing up to hook it up : ) )

I'm hoping someone is going to post some detailed dimensions of front receiver, before I get time to fab one : )

17. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I too am a professor in deer huntersing I really need a squirrel BBQ so I can becomes a professors in squirrelsing....wtf lol trolls:sly:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  18. fupabox

great....without the prior trolling post I look like a lunatic oh well:D

19. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Hey everybody! Fupabox is a lunatic! ;)

Actually, I think your response is so good, maybe I should undelete the prior post? :D

20. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I response was so good I just removed the link. LOL

There now you don't look like a lunatic!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  21. aeroshots

aeroshots Member

I would not go so far as to jump to that conclusion.:)

22. fupabox

I still need the squirrel BBQ;)

23. aeroshots

aeroshots Member

I believe my cousin still has that bbq you are looking for. Only, you would have to find your way to his moonshine still to use it.:eek:

24. fupabox

I am now a professor:p

Attached Files:

25. aeroshots

aeroshots Member

26. aeroshots

aeroshots Member

27. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

"yuck" lol

28. fupabox

damn my work has youtube blocked tonight grrrr

29. fupabox

Ah yes cooking squirrel..sweet..if ya havn't had it you don't know what you are missing...like rabbit....one of my favorite all time sayings comes from a squirrel cooking accident(honestly)........years ago while camping/hunting,a buddy retrieved a couple squirrels we had shot,skinned and dressed earlier(no we didn't put little shirts and pants on them:rolleyes:)they were frozen solid and he was swinging them by his side as I stepped out from behind my truck he happened to nail me with the swinging bag right in my jibbly bits...knocked me near unconcious:( (I actually threw up it was so bad ) hence the saying "more painful than a whack in the nuts with a frozen squirrel"

30. erixun

erixun Member

That right there is funny!!!!.... and I think I have found my new saying, if you don't care if I steal it:D