1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do these trucks really have enough power?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by tjp5467, Jan 1, 2010.

1. tjp5467

tjp5467 New Member

Hello all, I am new to the site and just started researching these trucks. I'm sure a threat has been started already about this but I could not find it.

I am looking at these trucks to do 2 things. First, I am going to use it to plow snow on about 5 driveways and two of them are quite large. I also would like to level rock in my driveway.

Second, I would like to haul firewood out of the woods with it. The woods I use have steep hills.

I was curious if these trucks really have enough power to do what I want them to. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. o8k

o8k Member

45hp ish depending on model/year etc. Many people put snow plows on them. Some models have a granny gear or Hi/Lo option. w/ that type of gearing, i dont think there would be a problem. But i have never personally plowed snow w/ one.

I would have to venture to say, if plowing snow was your goal, then you care about work (Torque) not rate of work (Power). Torque is plenty if you get a mini w/ the right gears you need.

Remember... a 1HP winch can easily generate a 5000lb tug (all possible w/ 150:1 ish gearing)

3. o8k

o8k Member

I have hauled 800-900lbs of sand/gravel in the bed of mine up very steep gravel/dirt roads (compound low 2nd gear) and just crawled right up (thats even w/ the stock 4" wide pizza cutters on it).

4. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

I've owned a Suzuki Carry for about 2 weeks now. We have about 3" of snow over unfrozen ground. I've been having no problem hauling full loads of firewood out of our woods with the "stock pizza cutters" either:p. It even will crawl through the freshly plowed fields if you can stand the ride:D. No regrets on trading a 4 wheeler for my Suzuki and looking very forward to the upgrades.

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

The standard 4x4 will likey do what you want. But if you are really going to work the truck get one with rear diff. lock(posi track). Suzuki/Mazda/Daihatsu (Mazda is made by Suzuki same truck just a Mazda badge)

6. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

go drive one and find out.... thats what I did;)

7. tjp5467

tjp5467 New Member

Thanks for all your replies! I live in the Midwest, anybody recommend a place to purchase??

8. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

9. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Give me a call or email and we would be happy to answer any of your questions. ;)

Dan

10. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I wish I was able to video tape myself while I am driving through the woods with over 1,000 pounds of firewood in the bed ;)

I wish I had one of these trucks 10 years ago.

I have Nanco 23 inchx7 tractor tires on mine. The more weight I put on it, the better it gets around. With over 1,000 pounds of firewood on the back, in 1st gear 4wd low I can creep through the whole woods, up and over hills, angled creek banks, etc.... mud or frozen ground. I dont think you can outpower the truck. All of my trails are old 4wheeler trails and some just plain suck to haul wood on and out of the woods.

I dont see any issue with the truck lacking power for any reasonable application. The only issue is traction on uneven ground unless you have diff lock. But then again, I have had my truck through some wicked terrain and only had it stuck once in over 2 years (knock on wood). I got hung up on top of a log and the 2 tires doing the spinning just dug holes straight down. 5 minutes with a come-a-long and I was back on the trail.

Good luck!

11. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How much work can a mini truck do?

We plow about 2000 ft of gravel drive and they work fine for us. No Diff or axle lock. Just a set of alltrail type tires.