1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributor question

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bobjonah, Feb 16, 2017.

1. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

The distributor on my 1992 S83P has a vacuum tube on the cap to ventilate it. The air intake appears to be a small hole in the lower body, covered with a steel splash shield. Would it not make sense to put a fitting in this hole and run a tube to a dry location ( inside Cab ) so the distributor stays clean and dry in wet conditions ?
    Has anybody done this ? is it a better set up ? or am I just being overly cautious ?

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

Unless you plan on fording I can't she why you need to.

3. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

No specific plans, but it may happen, so I want to be prepared. I will also re-do all my gear box vents to be above water line, and am looking at an easy route for engine intake air to get it up out of the dust and water

I ruined the diff on an Izuzu truck by getting water in it. 6 months later it just all of a sudden started to whine. I tore it down, and every bearing was shot as were the pinion, ring and spider gears. I was able to source a complete diff from a wreaker in Winnipeg and it still cost me over 2 grand. I bet I would have a hard job getting new gearboxes for the Daihatsu, so while I have it torn down, I will do a bit of preventative maintenance.

My dad always told me to never slip into a strange hole without a bit of protection.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

That last statement can apply to a lot of different circumstances in life.
    Words of wisdom from an old man who has been on this planet for near 80 years..

Fred