1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displaced

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Stuff99, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

So, due to massive rains, flooding, releasing the dam flood gates etc, I have pulled out of my current residence spot atm for about a week. I moved pretty much everything but the wood i was using to build a couple sheds.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1814778012967&oid=113338562042681&comments

http://regina.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110619/sas-evac-110619/20110619/?hub=Regina

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150147518906846.283226.664326845

pretty much they have to let 450 cubic meters a second out of the dams to play catchup with the water in the dam and for what is still coming... as is the village of Roche Percee, Sask felt the wrath today when the dirt berms gave way. now about 200 people are without homes. The park i was living in is next in line i fear.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/ANTheStuff/Flooding 2011/

2. Daner

Daner Member

That sucks I watched that first video tonight on my local news channel:) but seriously water water everywhere I heard Yellow Grass got like 3in in that last storm like 2-3 days ago and now in our weatherman is forecasting a couple more inches in the next few days. I am glad my house is one of the few that does not have water in the basement. almost everyone I talk to that never has before has water now. I also know people who haven't been able to drive on a road out of their farms for 2 months. It's crazy.
    When I went and talked to my crop insurance guy he said all of eastern montana and northeastern south dakota is the same way it is here. every single policy he has is going to be filing for preventive planting. Most of our fields we couldn't even get to because the roads are so bad. Bad deal all around and it doesn't look like it's going to dry up anytime soon:(

3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Wow. That's really something. :( Best of luck.

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Damn that stinks.....best of luck,and stay safe

5. downhere

downhere Member

Our prayers go out to your family and all others affected by the flooding! I was thinking yesterday about how much this rain has been an inconvenience. We have a new house and have been trying to get our landscaping done. It really puts things into perspective when you hear that people are relocating their homes or have basements full of water. I have a lot of extended family in central to southern Saskatchewan who are farmers. Most of them have not been able to seed this year. So as far as my landscaping "shame on me". Stuff99, for you I hope that you find a place to keep dry and are able to bring home back home soon!

6. Stuff99

they got 6" in the course of 2 hours. places south got the same.

Well 11:30 last night they sounded the alarm and evacuated the park. Water has reached the city limits, gone into the SRI home building plant and now only a road and a small berm is left to save the park.. 400+ out of a home + the 200 and some from Roche Percee + other farm homes etc...

Dams are open to 550 cubic meters a second now and is going to 630 in a half an hour.

FB group i started - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_137509999660492&ap=1 free to join.

7. Daner

Daner Member

Plaza ND got 4.5in in 2hrs last night and Wibaux MT got 3in in 45min

A few days ago I was spraying and I came over the top of the hill and in a badger hole on top of the hill I could see standing water inside. All our coulees have running water and when you look and see where the water is coming from you see it seeping out of the sidehills.
    We drained some water away from the county line by Wildrose into our big alkali slough cuz it was over the road for 2 miles and now the water is threatening to cover the road again but we can't drain it any lower without covering other county roads. We are running out of places for the water to go. the videos of the drainage we opened are on my youtube channel here it is when we first opened it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZmwM-wnR0U and here is two days later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfWuddBB2dc&feature=related its even bigger now but its been plugged for a while now
    Down south the people who built next to the Missouri are finding out that even if you have a dam rivers still flood.

8. Stuff99

9. erixun

erixun Member

HOLY SHNIKES man!! Stay safe and far away from that crap. Hope your home will be okay, wish you and yours well.... keep us posted. We have had a bunch of flood warnings/watches and only a couple of rivers go over so far, but we have had mild temps for may and june so far.

10. Stuff99

its now pouring like crazy out to

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Daner

Daner Member

oh boy more rain to make its way to Minot. I am so glad I don't live there. It's kinda a bottleneck too not real wide. the water is now running at 14,000 cubic feet per second through Minot. I remember earlier this spring they were talking 5000cfs and that was a big deal. they are now predicting that the water will rise to 9 ft above the crest of the 1969 flood in Minot the previous record holder.

I went to Crosby today spent about an hour there and came home and the road was covered in water in two places. One where there is a very very large culvert and its running over the road anyway. The water was just roiling out the backside of it. I wish I had taken some video. the second was a place where a small dam had been constructed with rocks and things and that was overflowing over the road.

Today the they opened up the drainage ditch in my above videos and put a culvert in it so it wouldn't erode any more farmland. They should have done that from the start. I wasn't there so no video but we are running out of places to put the water.

So yeah we are getting boned by mother nature

12. Stuff99

13. Stuff99

on the news just now its official at 720m3 being released right now. that 25426.5 cubic feet per second

14. erixun

erixun Member

Nice. Hope he doesn't ever need someone else's help on anything. The "karma" gods will exact their revenge. What a dink.

15. Daner

Daner Member

lol pay for water:rolleyes: foreign concept:D jk I hear ya that sucks it sounds like a couple dry days here before the weekly weekend outpouring of the heavens so here's your chance to dry off! 1.6in of rain last night

oh and the aforementioned culvert washed out today. I didn't get over there to look cuz the field it goes through is total soup but the plug around the culvert washed out from to much water acting on it.

AND.. I had some fun took the dirt bike out and came upon a washed out prairie trail and I decided rather hastily that based on how tall the grass was out of the water I could make it. nope. 1/4 of the way through and the bike quits and I look down and the water is above the chain case and surely was sucked into the carb. so for the last hour I have been flipping the bike upside down pushing the kick starter and spraying bulk WD-40 liberally into the intake. so long story short lots of white puddles on my floor. prolly need to go through the tranny fluid tomorrow. I'm glad its a 2 stroke.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  16. Stuff99

17. Daner

Daner Member

1800 POSTS!!!!! lol yeah I know quite a few people that have to evacuate and was lucky enough not to get enlisted to help:D

18. Daner

Daner Member

here is an article written on June 19

By next Saturday, June 25th, inflows from Canada at Sherwood are expected to be between 15,000 to 16,000 cfs(today it was at 28,800cfs expected to crest at 30,000)

Today, Lake Darling amped up releases to 8600 cfs, and they'll go up to 8800 cfs by Monday, and hit 9400 cfs on Tuesday.

Flows through Minot will hopefully peak at 9700 cfs Wednesday - or 1555.1 feet.

That estimate is one foot higher than previous crest more than two weeks ago.

In the meantime, the Corps is raising the city's dikes to handle 11,000 cfs.

They'll go up 2-3 feet on the west side of the city and one foot on east side.

City and Corps officials believe we have 3-5 days to get ready.

In the meantime, the city of Burlington is asking for volunteers to help sandbag its dikes another foot-or-so higher.

They'll be starting work at 8 am tomorrow.

I'll try find some video they showed a big flyover on the news. but the first story of every home in the flood plane is screwed is what i gathered from the news tonight.

http://www.kxnet.com/video.asp?ArticleId=793482&VideoId=45437

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  19. Daner

Daner Member

Here is a video I took today of the county road I live on Stuff you maybe drove on this road for the fireworks show. County road 17 goes south to Wildrose from Highway 5.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFINhVDIovs

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  20. Stuff99

ya i dont doubt i drove that road. that was years ago though!

I was watching KX weather online all day at work. man those sirens chill you to the bone!! SCARY STUFF!!

I hear now that americans are becoming hostile towards canadians. one guy caught a flight from minot and returned to his tires slashed and windows smashed. others were in minot and went to a restaurant and were refused service because "you guys are flooding us out" other stories like that are starting to spring up around town here to..

21. Daner

Daner Member

Yeah well if the water doesn't come now its gonna come later and faster. I don't doubt it. Even your dollars beating us! lol same thing over in Devils Lake. Many many farms have been totally eaten up and they all blame canada too. that might come around and bite the neighbors up north cuz when it goes through its natural overflow which I think will be next spring its gonna go down to whapeton and up the Red River. Fargo and Grand Forks screwed on the way to Canada. Even on the news the people they interviewed said they were scared and those were the rational people, just imagine the idiots! They can't blame mother nature so they blame the nameless people of Canada. Thats really too bad about the backlash. They should have other things to do like filling sandbags or helping people move rather than slashing tires that bring money into North Dakota.

22. Stuff99

well they slacked off now that they got a half meter of play (2ft) and they LIFTED THE EVAC!! yay but now my lot is so wet i cant get my trailer back in ....

Attached Files:

23. Daner

Daner Member

Well at least there's some good news today!

24. Stuff99

25. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

wow...got your boat license??:p:p:p

26. Stuff99

ha the sad part is that it has GONE DOWN!! it was single lane for the longest time.

on 47N of benson (north of estevan) they are pumping across the highway. came home that way and the 10" pump just about pushed my little truck off the highway when we hit the stream!

27. Daner

Daner Member

I have 3 ways I can get out and go anywhere. every other road is covered. all of them I have to go north all ways south are blocked. Minimum I have to go north is 8 miles to get out and go west then back south again. A trip to Wildrose is normally about 8 miles. Now the trip to Wildrose is about 40 miles and takes around an hour. so feel sorry for me!:D lol this makes me feel pathetic

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  28. Stuff99