1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differential Lock

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Frogtownbuckeye, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Frogtownbuckeye

Frogtownbuckeye New Member

I am looking at buying a 98 Daihatsu with 4Hi/Lo but it doesn't have differentail lock. I have also looked at a 95 with diff. lock. Both trucks have around 26000 km. I will be using this vehicle mainly to turkey and deer hunt in Eastern Kentucky hill country. I will also use it around my yard and dad's farm for cleaning up fallen trees and landscaping. I need opinions as to whether or not the locking differential would be needed for these types of jobs. Thanks in advance!

2. toothandnail

toothandnail New Member

I would recommend a locker, my 94 had them , my 2004 doesn't . BIG difference in what they will go through.

I will be installing the "lincoln locker" in the rear of mine.

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Definitely go with the locker if you're getting off the pavement.These little trucks are so light it really makes a world of difference.

4. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey there,

I'm over in central KY, south of Louisville. I bought my Hijet in 2011 and it stays here on the farm doing chores. Plenty of knobs, creeks and mud.

I was having a hard time finding a S210P with diff lock so I ended up adding it to my truck: http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?12246-S210P-Diff-Lock-mod-done!!!

Like toothandnail said, it made a HUGE difference in my truck, most noticeably, how far the truck will go in 2 wheel drive. I'm still running the stock size tires (145R12) in Super Diggers. These tires were yet another big improvement, especially over the street tires that came on it, but the truck still feels limited to the small footprint of the stock tire size.

As long as you get a manual tranny with your 4x4, that allows you to opt for a 2 speed transfer case (high and low). I think this is the biggest value. A kei truck in 4x4 low with a good set of ATV tires will go places, with or without diff lock.

I see the trucks have similar km's on them. If they are both in good shape and the money is right on both, I'd certainly go for the diff lock. Just my opinion, now that I've experienced both, I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker though.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

I've got a '94 with rear locker, ag tires on it. I've got hills to deal with and find the dif-lok to be the best thing
    on the truck. Would not have another one without it.

On another note, if you EVER plan to put tracks on I'd consider it a MUST have, front and rear. I'm still trying
    to figure out if/how to lock up the front on mine with the tracks. Having a track "drag" because it's not actually
    pulling is a pain. my 2 cents...

6. Patrick Brathwaite

Patrick Brathwaite New Member

Does anyone have experience with the Traction Concepts LDS addon?