1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differential Lock add-on..???

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by IndianaJason, Nov 11, 2007.

1. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Does anyone know if its possible without alot of trouble to add differential lock onto a Suzuki Carry that doesnt already have it? I have axle lock, but not differential lock? ...If not, and/or the parts cant be acquired, I thought about just weilding the spider gears...?

2. minidump

minidump New Member

explain the difference between diff lock and axle lock for the people?
    ________
    VOLCANO VAPORIZERS

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Axle lock locks the front axle so both tires grab... differential lock locks the rear axle so both tires grab... "posi-track"... If you dont have axle or differential lock, then the tire with the least resistance will spin... which doesnt help much if you are in a bind and/or in mud, etc... If one tire is in the mud, and the other is on solid ground, the one in the mud will spin, which is opposite of what you would want to happen. You would want the one on solid ground to grab and get you out..

Axle lock = front
    Differential lock = rear

4. minidump

minidump New Member

Components of a Four-wheel-drive System
    The main parts of any four-wheel-drive system are the two differentials (front and rear) and the transfer case. In addition, part-time systems have locking hubs, and both types of systems may have advanced electronics that help them make even better use of the available traction.
    Differentials A car has two differentials, one located between the two front wheels and one between the two rear wheels. They send the torque from the driveshaft or transmission to the drive wheels. They also allow the left and right wheels to spin at different speeds when you go around a turn.

When you go around a turn, the inside wheels follow a different path than the outside wheels, and the front wheels follow a different path than the rear wheels, so each of the wheels is spinning at a different speed. The differentials enable the speed difference between the inside and outside wheels. (In all-wheel drive, the speed difference between the front and rear wheels is handled by the transfer case --
    ________
    Mercedes-benz 280 history

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  5. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Anyone have an idea or suggestion?

I notice the truck is pretty light in the rear... anxious to see how it will be with a load of wood on it... I find myself in 4wd high quite a bit in places I didnt think I would need it. But it doesnt matter much, I'd like to have posi-track in the rear though... So if anyone knows if differential lock can be added, let me know. Otherwise I might wield the spider gears..? Anyone done that?

6. akswinehart

akswinehart New Member

axle lock

I am going to have to dissagree on the axle lock, it DOES NOT lock the front diff... diff lock does lock the rear, but when you engage axle lock it engages the front diff. but the diff is still open, to clerify, when you shift into 4wd via manual shifter on the suzuki it will start turning the front drive shaft, but the front wheels will not pull until axle lock (electronic) engages (this is automatic unless you are going to fast or something) , but like i said the front diff is still open (only 1 wheel will pull)

hope this helps

7. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I think Im understanding what you are saying, but I dont understand..?? Everything I have been told and/or read indicates that axle lock "locks" the front, same as differential lock "locks" the rear..?? If that is not the case, then there is alot of misinformation from owners and the dealers that I have spoken with or read what they have said?
    Also, when I engage the 4wd with the transfer case lever, and the axle lock switch is Not on, I Am in 4wd... If Im reading what you said correctly you are saying unless the axle lock is on, I'm not into 4wd (front tires not engaged), which is not how it works on my truck. Also, the other trucks that I am familiar with around here that do not have axle lock feature, they are in 4wd when the transfer case is in 4wd.
    Whether or not I activate the axle lock, my truck is in 4wd when I manually put it there via transfer case lever.. so it appears that my axle lock doesnt do anything..???????

8. SMURF

SMURF New Member

Although I have yet to receive my mini-truck (soon I'm told), I have built, operated and raced several 4x4's including - Dodge- Jeep - Unimog- Laplanders- Subaru and Toyota.
    For those mini-truck owners who have "locking differentials" I will try to explain what you may actually have under your truck.
    When a vehicle is turning EVERY wheel travels at a different speed and carves a unique path on the ground.. Don't believe me...? Look at the tracks in the snow or sand while doing a 180. This explains the term differential = different speed of each wheel in a turn.
    There are 3 differentials on any 4x4; one on each of the front and back axles and one in the centre (Transfer case).
    With this set-up any 4x4 stuck on ice will be immobilized when even one wheel spins. All the power will go to that wheel with the least traction. This is required because of those different speeds and distances each wheel must take when turning. If you have a truly locked axle in a turn then the immovable meets the unstoppable and something has to break.
    A rear 'track lock' axle is rarely a solid axle, more rather it is a limited slip using either clutches or gears to limit the amount of slip before locking up. Generally this works out to a 1/4 turn of the axle difference between wheels on the same axle; more than enough to accommodate a normal turn and certainly enough to get you out of a stuck situation.
    A solid locked front differential as in a Unimog is to be used for emergency use only in situations where straight ahead traction is required. In fact you won't be able to turn the steering wheel unless in very muddy conditions. If you try on anything solid then you will burst your power steering hoses or else break a differential or universal joint.
    Generally when companies advertise a "locking" differential they mean the CENTRE differential. At least this means that one wheel on the front and one on the back must spin before you are immobilized. Just because you have a lever or button that engages 4WD doesn't mean that the centre diff is locked; it just means that power is now going to the front axle as well as the back axle.
    Ideally one would have a limited slip rear diff and a lockable centre diff, then you would have 3 wheels that would have traction or at least turn. But don't ask for a locking front differential unless you wish to replace universal joints or front diffs at a regular interval.
    I hope this has been of some use to 4x4 mini-turck owners.
    Cheers! David >>>detter@(removethis)auracom.com

P.S.: Follow the cables or wires to see where they go, this will tell you what you have.

I should clarify my article about differentials. Early 4x4's did indeed solidly engage front & rear drive shafts when the 4x4 lever was activated. More modern 4x4's with full-time 4WD do indeed have a centre differential. It is those 'full-time' 4x4's that benefit from a lockable centre differential. Are mini-trucks part-time or full-time 4WD? I don't know.
    Regardless, I doubt that any mini-truck has a locking or limited slip front axle.
    My experience with Unimog was as a 'course sweep' or obstacle clearer; I would go through after the rally was over and assure all were through.
    The Volvo Laplander was basically like a 4x4 mini-truck van.
    http://www.geocities.com/pltgbil903/Historik.html
    Regards! David >detter@(removethis)auracom.com<

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, David! BTW, have you actually raced Unimogs! :eek: Cool!

10. SMURF

SMURF New Member

I should clairify my article about differentials. Early 4x4's did indeed engage front & rear drive shafts when the 4x4 lever was activated. More modern 4x4's with full-time 4x4 do indeed have a centre differential. It is those 'full-time' 4x4's that benefit from a lockable centre differential.

11. showland

showland New Member

I, too, want to add diff lock to a Carry that doesn't have it. It seems like nobody makes an after market diff locker for the Carry. That would be the best way to get diff lock on the trucks that don't have them. They make them for the Samurai, but I suspect this is an entirely different rear end, so these would not fit the Carry (any one now for sure?). I don't really want to weld the rear end so I'm looking for a used rear end with diff lock. (Any source ideas for this would be appreciated). I don't need to wire it up as I could just run a vacuum hose with a switch back to the fork.

12. Michel Leclerc

Michel Leclerc New Member

Well I've been wheeling a 2001 Jeep TJ (Wrangler) since almost new but unfortunately I was not the first owner. So it came bone stock. So in the case of the jeep the 4wd lever works as follow. The front drive shaft always spins along with the wheels (no manual locking hubs to keep the front axle and drive shaft to spin with the wheels) so what the lever does is shiting the front drive shaft out of neutral giving you access to both axles in either mode hi for slippery surfaces at higher speed such as sand and snow, the low range is for real off-roading. Now both axles receive power but you still have open diffs unless you have some type of locker which will lock both wheels on the same axle together in the case of a true locker (air/electric) or you can have a Limited Slip Differencial (LSD) usually in the rear from factory option which mine had or some type of Lunch Box/Detroit/ Aussie locker to name few different type but similar in function which will act as a lock axle but will usually allow for some slipping or ratcheting if needed before you break the axle. They usually are engage only when tongue is applied so let go of throttle and they disengage, give some gas they're back on. What I had on my Jeep was an OEM LSD in the rear and I added a Lokka brand of Aussie locker in the front which was automatically activated as soon as I was in 4wd (hi or lo) and because of the design it wasn't as bad as I had heard for steering. Now I have a 1991 Suzuki Carry with hi/lo range & manual hub lock. It is a bit of a pain to get out lock the wheels to the axle before engaging the 4wd but it's easier on gas then a system like the jeep where the wheels, axle and front differential would all spin at once all the time. But I sure would love to install at least a rear diff locker on that thing even maybe a front one if they make it.

Kent likes this.
  13. Wheelie

Wheelie Member

If we could swap out the rear axle from a newer 99+ carry we could use the locker conversion they sell on eBay. At that point your into some money. I wold love to add diff locks on my 95 carry. Seems like there is a market.

14. harley rose

harley rose Member

As a new owner (95 carry with axle lock) & new member, I TOO am confused ( due to all the miss info). I also have been wheeling for over 30 years & own a 881/2 Sammy super ZUK that is LOCKED ON ALL 4 CORNERS ( YES the locker will release BEfore something breaks ((hopefully)) BUT it is still locked till then). In the US (till the TJ Rubicon) the best factory situation obtainable was 1 in the front & 2 in the rear (L/Slip) AND UNLIKE UTVs it is looking like that is the best I am going to get from my mini :(. I'm chiming in because & have a weak clutch & can not test it properly.

1st : Has anyone seen a 4WD Carry W/O the axle lock button (90 - 99) ??

2nd: I'm with the OP (some of the info above would make my A/L button appear totally useless ?? The ONLY option I have it to turn it ON when in 2WD ?? What possible good could that do ?? If I engage 4WD hi or low the A/L is automatically engaged W/O the ability to turn it off. I did confirm yesterday that I have an open rear end in any configuration of the button & 4WD options :( .

ON EDIT : The only good I can think of to gain from the A/L engaged in 2WD would be if the truck was FWD & it is most definitely not ..

15. showland

showland New Member

Front Axle. Axle lock only engages the hubs, the differential remains open. There is no front differential lock for the Suzuki Carry. Wish someone would make a conversion kit.

Rear Axle. Diff lock is an option on the 4WD versions. I had one that did not have the locking differential so I got a used axle with the diff lock and swapped it out. Very easy to do and not to pricey. I had to run vacuum lines to the locker mechanism and install a vacuum switch to turn it on and off, but it works great.