1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diff change low to high

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by johns, Feb 14, 2008.

1. dorkpunch

dorkpunch New Member

Sorry for diggin up an old thread, but I cant find it anywhere else...

Gumballs pictures- is that a 2 wheel drive transfer case? Cause mines quite a bit different- theres another yoke that sits on top of the main shaft pictured there, and I cant see the shaft that has the clip on it because the yoke is in the way. Any other way to reach it, or do I have to pull the back half of the t-case off? Mines a 4x4...

2. NWmini

NWmini New Member

You do not have to pull the transfer case apart. Here is a picture of mine. It's a 1992 Hi-Jet left hand drive 4x4. Mine was easy to see and get too because I have a box that scissors up so I can get at it easier. The "E" clip you are looking for sits behind that arm hanging down. I'll attach a pic but it's hard to see the clip because it's dark. Once you can get a good look in you will see it with a flashlight.

Attached Files:

3. dorkpunch

dorkpunch New Member

Thats closer to what mine looks like, but I have one more extra part that you dont have...

Tried to get it in the picture, but its awkward... Behind the yoke, and BEFORE the shaft with the clip that needs to come off, I have a little plastic dowel of some sort- it sticks out from the rear end of the transfer case and ends about an inch before the front of the transfer case (on the inside). It also has a groove cut in it along the top. I can bend it down but I still cant see the clip I need to pull. Whats this piece for?

Its the grey plastic dowel behind the 4wd shift yoke...

[​IMG]

Tried to point at it with the screwdriver, might just be more confusing.

[​IMG]

4. dorkpunch

dorkpunch New Member

So I talked to Leon, the plastic thing is an oil trough that lubes the back end. Looked like I could just pull the tail end of the tcase off and slide the oil tube out of the way. So thats what I did.

The weird white thing is the back end of the tube.

[​IMG]

Wasnt far enough. Fine. Take the back peice all the way off.

[​IMG]

Went back around to the access panel, still cant reach it. Its way around behind a shift fork. FINE. Take off the frickin back half of the tcase. :bluduh

Theres the culprit- the e clip on the steel pin.

[​IMG]

Back half of the tcase.

[​IMG]

The back half put back together and ready to go in.

[​IMG]

The )(@#*&@#$ e-clip.

[​IMG]

I are good at makin messes.

[​IMG]

Still have to pull the front driveline off to get the back half of the tcase back on, then put it all back together. *sigh*

5. dorkpunch

dorkpunch New Member

Well, got it all back together, dumped some oil in, and went for a rip. New top speed (before the stop sign / T intersection into the beet field) is a whopping 45 mph. Gotta luv the gutless wonders!

6. woopee

woopee New Member

I had my kids do the removal of the E-clip so we can go faster. I have a left hand drive S80LP-JTRK (Jumbo Cab). My comments are that it is easy to drop the clip, which they did and retrieved with a magnet. You might want to remove the battery if it's in the way. The other thing is that if you were to take off the bed of the truck (I think it's about 8 bolts hidden under plastic caps), then this process is easier. (Although it's not necessary) In fact, removing the bed can help you do drive shaft work, mounts, shocks, lift kits, suspension, undercoating, and transmission work easier. You can more easily fill your fluids and trace down vacuum lines, too.

We had to grab some gasket-maker to reseal the rectangular compartment.

This truck appears to have been originally owned by a university, not the US government.

7. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

I just came on to this forum recently,and all these ideas have me confused. obviously there are differences in all the mini trucks.
    reading these posts. I can't tell at times which make of vehicle maker is being used to explain the process. So maybe if it's possible. explain the steps that apply for the different models of mini trucks?

8. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

mrx,
    That's the reason for the Blue Field at the top of the page! I realize that you didn't receive your unit yet, and that may be why you didn't post anything in your profile, on your Signature! But you can at least post the year vehicle and the make that you ordered, with a note stating that you haven't received it yet! NOTE; You are reviewing older post's above from 2008- 2011, etc....We are currently trying to improve the sources of info, by updating current Profiles!
    Limestone

9. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

how do I post on my signature,and where is my signature to post things located? kinda hard to locate things when I'm not familiar with anything here.A.D.D. sucks ass., ಠ_ʖಠ

10. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

mrx,
    Click onto your Avatar, mrxsht, then under that click onto your profile, then click onto your signature, and print in the year and make of your vehicle, and any notes that you might want to add or include. You can then change it accordingly! Thanks!
    Limestone