1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did they make a 2wd with front disc brakes?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by werase643, Apr 18, 2020.

1. werase643

werase643 Member

I have a S80P lefty... 4 wheel drums..... 140ish hp.....looking to see if anybody ever upgraded to disc brakes?

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I thought about last yr., but after I was able to find the front wheel cyl. at an astronomical price, I bit the bullet and just re did all the brakes all the way around the way they were, drums! If you decide to do it, keep us posted, I might still wind up converting mine to disc's on the front! Mine is also a 4 wheel drive unit! I don't really see the need for the rear's being disc's, with these light weight unit's, even if you drive a lot of miles on the rd. and use it as an every day driver! That's just me! Thanks!
    Limestone

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

140ish horsepower. Closer to 40ish, if the stock 550-cc engine is still in it.

Converting to discs, is going to involve finding an S83 or, S100 as a donor truck, and switching Across most of the suspension, including the knuckles which the brakes ride on. Unless you have good set of fab skills, you’d be better off just finding a truck with the brake setup and buying it.

AZmini-t likes this.
  4. Limestone

Jig's,
    That's what I contemplated when I first inherited this project! It was just a little more than I wanted to get into, right off the bat, with every thing else I'm doing to it! So once I found the front wheel cyl., I moved forward, knowing, after doing a compression check of each cylinder, in the motor. Then I knew it was worth moving forward, with the project! You can go as fast as you want, but if you can't stop, well, there you go!
    Limestone

5. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Many years ago while completing the Grayhound driving school, we were constantly reminded that in case of accident we would be the first one there. These little skateboards are in that same classification so keep that in mind.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Fred,
    Good to hear from you! I couldn't agree with you more! I have always kept my brakes up to snuff, on anything that I've owned,! I just can't , and won't, not do maintenance in that area! Stay Healthy my friend!
    Limestone

7. werase643

werase643 Member

um .... looking because i want it to stop and drums ain't gunna go it. stopped the swap til i can get stoppers and reverse.... reverse not as important as stoppers.... 140ish with 6 speed sequential 1 fwd 5 back.

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Ok, now that i went back and looked at your post history I have a better idea of why you are asking. You really are trying to swap in a different engine with 140-hp, to replace teh stock 40-hp engine.

I am still confused about if this is going into a Hijet S80.

If you’re doing this to an S80, the easiest solution would be to find an S100 which is 2wd, (the s110 is the 4wd version), and bring the complete subframe across.

And I’d look into a Girling Vacuum booster servo unit which can be mounted remotely. Power Brakes would be a big plus: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143583666757

9. werase643

werase643 Member

engine been installed for years. since the world shut down.... i'm making lifeless blobs of afterbirth in my yard move forward.... getting tanks cleaned out.... and getting stuff running. not gunna touch the S80 lefty till it has brakes... so i am gathering info...and parts Pimpin out a mighty mitz it now has big engine in it (4G82), trying to off a TIGER TRUCK, going to either build a RHD geo metro vert or do a SWIFT GT vert....