1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diahatsu Hijet Supercharged

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Limestone, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

In 1987, Daihatsu developed a Supercharged version of their 547(550) cc engine, up until 1990, and their 660 cc engine was introduced! The, Supercharged version producing 44 ps/hp. (if you will), compared to approximately 34 ps/hp. Now, understand, these numbers, are approximate and, can change, with rpm's! I find it pretty interesting, that these were produced, I understand on a limited basis, for four yrs. and we don't hear or see much about these! They are almost in the rare category! In 1990, with the 660 ps/hp being introduced @ 40-64 ps/hp the Supercharged version was no longer in production! This being done in Japan, while other parts of the world received 847-1000cc! Being built in South Korea until 1992, by Asia Motors, when Kia took over production of these Kia towners! Without getting off track here, I'm curious about these Turbochargers! Does anyone have any experience with them, and or, are there any out there? They're are a lot more facts and info, about this era, but I was trying to stay on track, and not write a book! Thanks!
    Limestone

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Limestone, panther place to ask would be the live to dai forum: https://livetodai.com/ if anyone knows about the turbocharged and supercharged versions of the engine some one there will.

3. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Jigs,
    I appreciate that! Someday I might get a wild hair up my backside, and want to either improve the motor that I have in my unit, or possibly replace it with something else! Like I'm always saying, I need another project like I need, yeah you know the rest! I have to keep moving, it's the only way I know!
    Limestone

4. Koffer

Koffer Donating Member

The daihatsu Atrai van ( the fancy hijet van ) came with a 660EFI,and a turbo

5. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Correct!

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

.9 liter from a van in the UK maybe an option

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

The guys at Live to Dai, recommended the 1-liter, (993-cc), version of the three cylinder. It was Rated at about 50% more power, and 60% more torque.

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

Does the engine rev out the same as the 660? I have never looked to far into it. But have thought it make great swap being bolt in.

9. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

ttc,
    My thoughts exactly, those are some of the things I would like to know! Jigs had a great suggestion, when I get a chance I will log onto the site
    'live to dai"! I'm hoping to find out more their, and who knows, possibly find one!
    Limestone

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  10. ttc

ttc Active Member

I am member a the UK van forum.

11. ttc

ttc Active Member

If the 1 liter would rev to 5 grand and hold it for sustainable times it be good for me I could run taller tire and still do 100 or so on the highway

12. Arkivel

Arkivel Member

Are all the Atrai vans turbos?

13. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

YES! The Atrai van was offered with a turbo right from the start in September 1992!

14. Jigs-n-fixtures

The 993 is essentially a slightly bored, mostly stroked version of the 660-cc motors. I may not rev as high, but does produce quite bit more torque, and torque is what pushes you down the road.

15. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Exactly! I agree Jigs. That's the whole reason that I brought this up! TORQUE! For me, that's what I'm interested in. I'm not looking for a racer, or something to run on the highway. I've got other vehicles for that.

16. Arkivel

Arkivel Member

I just looked up this one for sale. Its a 1996 Atrai. The data plate lists the engine as "EF-GS" which is not Turbo charged and rated at 44 hp. I wish it were easier to determine which Atrai models are turbo and which are not. There is not a lot of documentation in english.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Ark,
    Do me, and hopefully yourself a favor, and google, Daihatsu Hijet, and then go to Wikipedia, and scroll down to Seventh Generation, and read the 3rd. paragraph down, and educate me! I realize my comprehension level is not as high as others, and that I've been wrong before, but please read all 4 paragraphs, it's pretty interesting! Thanks, looking fore ward to your reply, and I truly hope this helps all of us!
    Limestone

18. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Ark,
    As I read down a little farther under 8th Gen., which is what the 96 Atrai van your talking about is. You are correct, fuel inj., SOHV, 6 valve, 44 hp, EF-ES were standard, and in January 96, automatics received, a Twin Cam, 12-valve carb. version of the EF engine, the EF-GS! I guess the point being is that the TURBO (supercharged) was available for some vehicles, at the start of 87, and several improved versions became available as time went on. I'm assuming, and in retrospect, with some research, a person could find a replacement motor that could work, possibly with some minor adapting. That's where all the research would come in to play.
    Limestone

19. JMM

JMM Member

On his Youtube channel, Motocheez has talked about supercharging his S83P. I may be behind, but from the video I watched it sounds like he's got the components and it's just a question of the install.

Limestone likes this.
  20. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Seventh generation (S80, S82, S88, S89)
    Seventh generation (S80, S82, S85, S88, S89)
    [​IMG]
    Seventh generation Daihatsu Hijet Jumbo (S80)
    Overview
    Also called

Production
    • 1986–1994 (Japan)
    • 1986–1995 (Indonesia)
    • 1992–2002 (South Korea)
    Body and chassis
    Class

Body style
    Layout
    Powertrain
    Engine

Transmission 4 or 5-speed manual
    3-speed automatic
    Dimensions
    Wheelbase
    1,800 mm (71 in)
    Length
    • 3,195 mm (126 in)
    • 3,295 mm (130 in)
    Width 1,395 mm (55 in)
    Height 1,825 mm (72 in)
    Chronology
    Successor
    Daihatsu Zebra (S90/S91/S92) (Indonesia)
    The seventh generation Hijet ("S80") was a gradual development of its predecessor, introduced in May 1986.[5] The biggest change was the switch to a more modern three-cylinder engine, the EB, although displacement remained just under 550 cc. It was also built in South Korea since 1992, by Asia Motors, as the "Towner". This version was later badged "Kia Towner", subsequent to Kia's takeover. These vans were only exported to certain markets (such as Malta and Chile), according to the licensing agreement. Beginning in 1992, Piaggio also built this car in Pontedera for European markets as the "Porter", especially to circumvent restrictions on Japanese imports in some markets like Italy. This version has long outlived the original Hijet and is still in production. Unlike the Hijet, the Porter has also been available with a diesel option.

The Japanese market Hijet continued to also be available in the "Jumbo Cab" configuration, but new was the "Deck Van" - a version of the four-door van with a very short cargo bed in the rear. This version was also sold as the Daihatsu Atrai Deck.[5] Export market Hijets generally received Daihatsu's familiar 993 cc three-cylinder engine, while domestic versions had to make do with 550 cc due to the strict Kei rules. Following new Kei car regulations in early 1990, the Hijet was updated accordingly. As with all its brethren, it gained ten centimetres (3.9 in) in overall length and 110 cc in displacement. This was enough to give it a new chassis code, S82. This version continued in production until being replaced by the eight generation version in 1994.

In May 1987, a supercharged version with 44 PS (32 kW) appeared in the Hijet truck. This remained available until the introduction of the larger 660 cc engine in March 1990.[28] The supercharger's superior torque at low engine speeds made this a natural application for a truck such as the Hijet. Conversely, the Atrai passenger car version were available with a more powerful turbo engine right from the start. In September 1992, the Hijet and Atrai received a light facelift, including alterations to both interior and exterior, as well as a number of new engines.[29] The van and pick-up, in addition to a new fuel-injected four-valve option, also received strengthened beds and covers.[29]

An enlarged version of this generation was built in Indonesia as the "Daihatsu Zebra", beginning in 1986, equipped with 1.0-liter 3-cylinder from previous generation. In 1989, this received a 1.3-liter 16-valve HC engine rather than the earlier one-liter unit, and sales doubled year-on-year.[30] The 1298 cc unit produces 72 PS (53 kW) and was coupled to a four-speed manual transmission.[30] The pickup truck version started using the "D130 Jumbo" badge.

• [​IMG]
      Hijet truck (Japan)

• [​IMG]
      Hijet light van, rear view (Japan)

• [​IMG]
      Daihatsu Atrai Cruise 4WD passenger version (Japan)

• [​IMG]
      The Hijet Deck Van is a pickup version of the van

• [​IMG]
      2001 Piaggio-built Daihatsu Hijet pickup (UK)

• [​IMG]
      2002 Piaggio-built Daihatsu Hijet van (UK)

• [​IMG]
      1994 Asia Towner 800 Cargo

• [​IMG]
      Daihatsu Zebra Astrea 1.3 (Indonesia)
    Eighth generation (S100, S110, S120, S130)
    Eighth generation (S100, S110, S120, S130)
    [​IMG]
    Daihatsu Hijet Truck 4WD (S110P, Japan)
    Overview
    Also called
    Daihatsu Atrai (van)
    Production January 1994 – January 1999
    Assembly Japan
    Body and chassis
    Class

Body style
    Layout Front mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive or all wheel drive
    Powertrain
    Engine
    659 cc EF-ES/NS I3 6-valve SOHC
    659 cc EF-TS I3 6-valve SOHC (turbocharger)
    659 cc EF-GS/VE/ZS I3 12-valve DOHC
    659 cc EF-RS I3 12-valve DOHC (turbocharger)
    Transmission 5-speed manual
    3-speed automatic
    Dimensions
    Wheelbase
    1,900 mm (74.8 in)
    Length 3,295 mm (129.7 in)
    Width 1,395 mm (54.9 in)
    Height 1,900 mm (74.8 in)
    The eighth generation Hijet entered the marketplace in January 1994, after having first been shown at the 30th Tokyo Motor Show in October 1993, and continued to be built until replaced by the ninth generation in 1999. "S100" was used for two-wheel drive versions, while four-wheel-drives were coded "S110". The suffix "P" was for trucks, "C" for panel vans, and "V" for glazed vans. The passenger-oriented Atrai received "S120" and "S130" chassis codes. In May the "Hijet EV", a fully electric version of the van, appeared - replacing the EV version of the seventh generation Hijet.[31] A fuel injected, SOHC 6-valve engine with 44 PS (32 kW) (EF-ES) was standard on automatic cars and optional on five-speed manuals, which otherwise received a carburetted version with two horsepower less. From January 1996, automatics received a twin-cam 12-valve carburetted version of the EF engine (EF-GS), still with the same power.

In 1995, a Hijet EV Truck appeared, complementing the Van version. Appearing in October 1997, the "Hijet is" was a youthful version with sporty design traits, including a blacked out front panel and various body cladding items. "is" stood for "Idol" and "Stylish".

[​IMG]
    The eighth generation Hijet Cargo
    [​IMG]
    Hijet Double Deck AWD (S110W)
    The new Atrai was focussed more on passenger comfort than earlier generations, and has a three-link independent rear suspension rather than the leaf sprung, live axle of the Hijet. This is why the Atrai has its own chassis numbers (S120/130). The Atrai passenger van was available with more powerful turbocharged engines, such as the SOHC 6-valve EF-TS and the twin-cam, 12-valve EF-RS (from January 1997). Both of these engines nominally remained beneath the 64 PS (47 kW) limit set by Japanese regulators for Kei cars - but with 13.6 percent more torque than the lower tuned single-cam, it was clear to all that the EF-RS had considerably more power than acknowledged. The Turbo SR (and later RT) models received anti-lock brakes as standard. In October 1997, the Atrai Classic appeared; this model has a leather interior and keyless entry, among other equipment improvements.