1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diahatsu Hijet Supercharged

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Limestone, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

In 1987, Daihatsu developed a Supercharged version of their 547(550) cc engine, up until 1990, and their 660 cc engine was introduced! The, Supercharged version producing 44 ps/hp. (if you will), compared to approximately 34 ps/hp. Now, understand, these numbers, are approximate and, can change, with rpm's! I find it pretty interesting, that these were produced, I understand on a limited basis, for four yrs. and we don't hear or see much about these! They are almost in the rare category! In 1990, with the 660 ps/hp being introduced @ 40-64 ps/hp the Supercharged version was no longer in production! This being done in Japan, while other parts of the world received 847-1000cc! Being built in South Korea until 1992, by Asia Motors, when Kia took over production of these Kia towners! Without getting off track here, I'm curious about these Turbochargers! Does anyone have any experience with them, and or, are there any out there? They're are a lot more facts and info, about this era, but I was trying to stay on track, and not write a book! Thanks!
    Limestone

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member

Limestone, panther place to ask would be the live to dai forum: https://livetodai.com/ if anyone knows about the turbocharged and supercharged versions of the engine some one there will.

3. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Jigs,
    I appreciate that! Someday I might get a wild hair up my backside, and want to either improve the motor that I have in my unit, or possibly replace it with something else! Like I'm always saying, I need another project like I need, yeah you know the rest! I have to keep moving, it's the only way I know!
    Limestone

4. Koffer

Koffer Donating Member

The daihatsu Atrai van ( the fancy hijet van ) came with a 660EFI,and a turbo

5. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

.9 liter from a van in the UK maybe an option

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member

The guys at Live to Dai, recommended the 1-liter, (993-cc), version of the three cylinder. It was Rated at about 50% more power, and 60% more torque.

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

Does the engine rev out the same as the 660? I have never looked to far into it. But have thought it make great swap being bolt in.

9. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

ttc,
    My thoughts exactly, those are some of the things I would like to know! Jigs had a great suggestion, when I gat a chance I will log onto the site
    'live to dai"! I'm hoping to find out more their, and who knows, possibly find one!
    Limestone

10. ttc

ttc Active Member

I am member a the UK van forum.

11. ttc

ttc Active Member

If the 1 liter would rev to 5 grand and hold it for sustainable times it be good for me I could run taller tire and still do 100 or so on the highway