1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperately need Plunger and Needle dimensions ...

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Victor Getov, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

Hi Guys,
    This thread is actually "extension" of my previous: "1999 Suzuki Carry bad performance ... ".
    In the thread "Desperately need tuning help ..." Spaner posted pictures of a plunger and needle. There the plunger and the needle are +/- same height.
    My carb. needle look VERY short - not even 3/4 of the plunger.
    When assembled the needle sticks out of the plunger only 15 mm (0,59 inch).
    If I have the exact sizes - I can modify a needle from "Stromberg" carb. from Land Rover - common vehicle here - to fit properly.
    Please, can somebody help with detailed dimensions. Please ...
    P.S. IMO, the thread "Desperately need tuning help" is so enlightening - must be made compulsory to read !!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Victor, I have dealt with this type carb many years ago and as I remember the needle/pin is VERY PRECISE as to its TAPER & LENGTH because that is how the correct mixture is controlled all the way through the full movement of the slide. I very much doubt that you will come up with satisfactory results without the proper part. You might get better results by trying to adapt a carb from some other comparable sized (and locally available) engine.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Victor is in Botswana, so his options are limited. If I had a Carry, and a spare carb, I’d tear it down to give him the info he needs.

4. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

Hi, Thanks for your advise. As Jigs-n-fixtures stated - my options are VERY limited.
    But I love my Zuki and I drive it every day.
    It gave me 6,8 liter per 100 km fuel consumption on open road - loaded with 10! bags of cement - 500 kg !!!
    It is my mini-workshop. I fabricated a roof rack - 1,2 m x 3,6 m (for transporting material). This roof rack tuns in 74 cm Hi 1,2 m Wide and 3,6 m Long "working bench" in 3 minutes, and in another 3 minutes turns to a bed - protected against Wilde animals - when I have to sleep in the bush.
    Real home made transformer !!!
    I am self-employed Boilermaker/Electrician/Carpenter/+ + +... and all my jobs are in different houses in "town" Maun or farms around it.
    Maun is a "town" In Botswana at Okavango Delta and has 1 !!! tarred street. Crocodiles, Elephants and three types of monkeys are all over.
    It is also my small car - I have a passenger very rare.
    I promise to post pictures as soon as possible.
    If I have the dimensions of original plunger needle - I will make +/- 0,1 mm precise copy of it myself. Well balanced pedestal grinder, a drilling machine and experience are on my side.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  5. fmartin_gila

Would it be possible for you to do the Grizzly 660 carb swap as mentioned in the other ongoing thread 'Suzuki Carb swap out'. It does seem to be a viable option and would end your problems.

Fred

6. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

Hi Fred,
    Grizzly (or Rhino) carburetor swap is brilliant option, but is possible ONLY on trucks with distributor - for the timing advance.
    My timing advance comes from Throttle Position Sensor on the carburetor and goes to ECU.
    I am doomed !!!

7. fmartin_gila

You might check out these and see if they may have something you can use: Ecotron - WMtronics - Megaquirt. If you have a TPS you should also have a Crank & Cam sensor so you could convert to EFI. I don' know about your vehicle, just trying to give you some other possibilities.

Fred

8. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

Fred, I am in the third world. There are two spare shops in town with VERY limited stock.
    Ordering from Amazon or AliExpres is is with 3 months to never delivery time - Corona virus ...
    There are +/- 5 Suzuki Carry in entire country ....
    "Want" and "Can" do not mach here in Maun, Botswana .....

9. fmartin_gila

I can understand your situation, even though I am an American I also live in a third world country, Philippines. There are a few junkyards/breakers here but they seem to want better than new price for anything. When I need anything specific, it has to come from Japan. At least mine is a later model with a K6A engine(full EFI). Its rough to have one from the transition years, plus you being located where you are. Very little room for making something else work, you almost have to use correct parts for repair. I use Megazip in Japan for when I need stuff, they are easy to deal with and have had parts in stock when no one else has had them available . I haven't ordered anything since last year so don't know about the present state of shipping items. You might contact them online and inquire if they may be able to do better at shipping for you.

Fred

10. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

Hi Fred, and sorry for the delayed respond.
    "Philippines" are civilized world compared with Botswana.
    I just bought few small and cheap things from AliExspress - if they arrive I am going to buy Grizlly 660 carburetor.
    It looks on the pictures that it's "shaft" can be extended to accumulate TPS.
    This is going to be good challenge.

11. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

This is my roof rack/working bench/secure bed.
    Here it is shown as working bench for steel fabricating - doors, gates, windows, ect ...
    Sizes: Length - 3600 mm, Width - 1200 mm, Height - 738 mm (when on the 6 legs).
    Made out of 38 X 25 X 2 mm rectangular tubing.
    The 6 legs are from 30 X 30 X 2 mm square tubing. They fit "around" 25 X 25 X 2mm X 250mm "short legs" - "horns" when is upside down on the truck for roof rack/bed. IMG_20200919_084632.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  12. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

13. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Vic,
    I like it! I have built, and used a lot of truck racks. Remember, all your work, or most of it, is done from the back. You might want to consider a couple of reinforced, angled legs, if you will, from the back of the rack, to the next support foreword, as to not, to interfere with your work, while loading and unloading! Most of the stress will be put on the back of that last cross member! Nice rack, and choice of material in this application!
    Limestone

14. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

15. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

16. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

IMG_20200920_074420.jpg
    Small working bench. Two solid legs under the wise and two "wheeled" legs on the other side - for easy moving without dragging or lifting.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  17. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

Thanks for the support, Limestone.
    The rack is secured to the back "legs" (upside down "U" frame) with two M10X85 mm bolts, and I can still slide it forward - then the front is just aligned with the front of the truck.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  18. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

A friend gave me a needle from Land Rover.
    IMG_20201013_081443.jpg

19. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

Hi Guys,
    Two weeks ago the thermostat on my Zuki gave up. I took it out, but in the shops there is no replacement for it.
    This brought another problem - the choke.
    But I am living in a country, where the temperature in coldest time of the year is +5 to +10 degrees C.
    Do I really need choke ???
    I took it completely out, by-pass the water hose and block the vacuum port port on the carb.
    Zuki starts perfectly and I have to keep a bit higher revs for about a minute.
    If someone wants complete, working choke - I am willing to give it away. Just pay the postage. Joint.jpg