1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate plea to help find a windshield

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Richard H. Blount, Sep 22, 2007.

1. What started as a stone bruise has now turned into a spider web! :( very high level of suck! I have been looking for almost two years to find a windshield that doesn't cost $400+ and no cojones to ship it to me at an exorbitant price!
    :(
    Help me Obi Wan, you are my last hope before doing something rash like installing Lexan. (Any info on that would be appreciated as well) :D

Glad to have found you all,
    Hope I am not a pain in the keester!
    Rich

2. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

maybe

try Oloh tractor they got in a load of parts trucks . seem like nice folks. 601 264 5820

3. scesnick

scesnick Member

Why not just take it to the local auto windshield shop? I made a windshield frame for my Yamaha Rhino and then took it to the local windshield place and I think it cost like $50 for the glass. No big deal really.

4. Alas, if it were only that easy. I've been to every glass shop in town and even trailered it to some in Columbus (OH) and have come up empty. I even went through the chain through the Mitsubishi organization clear to Japan (My Mother is Japanese) and it just doesn't compute with them. Either I get the 'It 'aint in my book) to "MiniCab?! what the heck it that? I keep coming back to an outfit near St Louis that wants $350, but it would take me either three days travel or $2-300 in Av-Gas to get a friend to fly me down to get one. And they are out of them at this time. I do have an appropriate sized piece of scratch-resistant Lexan, but the local glass shop is afraid to put it in for fear of leakage or air-pressure blowing the windshield loose! I suggested using the gasket like the old VW's used to use and they are luke warm on that wanting to put a vertical brace in the middle of the windshield. I am very discouraged. Nothing seems easy for such a seemingly easy problem.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

This is one of the challenges of owning a vehicle not sold in this country.

6. scesnick

scesnick Member

O.k. SOunds like a bigger problem than first thought. I originally used the Lexan for my Rhino windshield and I will tell you this, If you take your mini in the woods at all forget about the Lexan. It scrathces like nobodys business.

7. charlie@mandm

charlie@mandm New Member

I have one in stock for $250.00,but same deal no shipping.

Thanks,
    Charlie Mcconnaughay
    MandM Tractor
    www.mandmtractor.com

8. Oops

forgot to say 1989 Mitsubishi u15t.:eek:

R

9. swampfox

swampfox Member

glass crisis

Our local minitruck dealer has replacement windshields shipped over inside the used trucks he buys from auction. That's one way. Also, an installer at Safelite auto glass told me that he has known of (better-experienced than he) installers who could cut down larger sized convex-shaped windshield safety glass to fit a smaller frame. Maybe you could take a Mitsubishi Fuso big truck and get the necessary glass. I would like to know if anyone could have that done--and from what exact windshield. You could take your cracked glass to a junkyard and place it over windshields until one seems to be the right shape. I have a Subaru Sambar and dread the day when I get a chip. Here in Mississippi, we can register them for the roads. I don't take the interstates but will drive on any other road. They don't enforce the dump truck cover laws here, and everyone gets broken windshields. Last year, I replaced two Scion windshields and two GMC windshields. My son's Jeep windshield is cracked bigtime right now--what a bummer!

10. Thanks for all the leads guys! I chased a lot down in the last several weeks looking for parts sources closer to home (Newark, Ohio) and found a very nice lady at All Terrain Mini Trucks (atmtrucks.com) who ordered one for me with her next truck order. She is only about 4 hours away in Kentucky so I pulled the trigger on that one. Less than half the cost of the guy in St Louis.
    Thanks again to all!
    Rich

11. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

in my old drag car made the widows out of ML10 (i think, it's been a long time) it was scratch and mar resitent if memory serves. held up very well, even have to scrape stickers and shoe polish numbers off all the time. for the front windshield we just predrilled holes then put it in with silicone and rivets. worked very well.