1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Simple2me, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Simple2me

Simple2me New Member

Just traded my broke down 4wheeler for a broke down carry. Mid 90's and in good shape other than the engine. The guy said it was rebuilt and then locked up. Looking at the crankshaft, it looks like someone used the wrong bearings on the mains. Nice smooth grooves worn into the journals deep enough to leave a raised line where the oil travels through the bearing. I have 3 options right now for the engine...1- I can rebuild the little 1.0, 2- I have a 2 cylinder perkins diesel engine I can adapt or 3- I have a 99 yamaha R1 engine I can adapt. I like option 2 but I'm not sure how the truck will handle with almost half the horsepower and rpm range gone. I'm not looking to make a hotrod but I want it to still be functional. Has anyone put a small 2 cylinder diesel in one yet. I didn't find any threads on the topic. Maybe I didn't search well enough, idk.

Attached Files:

2. Travis K.

Travis K. New Member

Hi Simple2me, I own an '87 Carry with the 530cc engine and it's street legal and very functional. I just hauled a washer home the other day! I'm not sure what the HP of the two engines are but with half the displacement I'm assuming near half the HP. My main problem is parts sourcing. The 1.0L parts are more available but in the long run maybe replacing the engine with something more common would be to your advantage. I generally like things stock, but I do dream of having parts and info more available. Hope this was helpful.

3. Simple2me

Simple2me New Member

2cyl perkins is 14hp with max rpm of 3600. R1 is a 1000cc sport bike engine with a lot of getup n go. I may try the diesel engine just to say I did. Adapting doesn’t seem to difficult.

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that normally Motorbike engines HP is rated at quite higher rpm's, Diesel engines usually have a lot more torque than gas engines so even with the low HP rating there should not be a problem with power. My main concern would be the attainable speed with the 3600 rpms. Just some points to ponder.

Fred