1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD51T EFI conversion likely to happen

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by matt167, Dec 25, 2018.

1. matt167

matt167 Active Member

My 1992 DD51T's carburetor is running 'ok'. It does have some issues with the idle control system and cold starting system. Don't think the choke is working, and the enrichment system I know isn't. I can drive it still. Once warmed up it still runs fine..

I got the idea from reading about Harley CV carbs on Samurai's.. But Harley's have had EFI available since the mid 1990. On some the throttle body was separate from the injector manifold. That throttle body uses all GM sensors ( Not the older M&M system ), sized 'about right' at 44mm and is a 2 bolt design.. I'll have to have an adapter machined to fit the Zuki manifold, but also a fuel injector or 2 into the adapter. That will basically make it a TBI system or a wet flow system.. To add to this, and to help hold 5th gear, I'm also going to install an RHB31 turbocharger set only for low boost. Just to keep enough power to hold 5th gear up slight grades or higher grades at 50 mph. It will take some external timing management to get it all to work But I will megasquirt the system

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

FYI. You might go to 'ecotrons' and look over what they have to offer for your changeover. Just food for thought.

Fred

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I looked into what they have, including the RHB31 copy and the flange kits. However, the system is pretty basic. It wouldn't offer the same drivability that a Mega-squirt could provide

4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I am about to swap in an Arctic Cat F6a EFI @ 80 hp!

5. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I couldn't justify wasting the money. However for now, I've got the parts coming to install a 40mm Harley Davidson CV carburator

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I am a Cat Mechanic and I want to swap the entire engine!

I wouldn't waste money on a different Carb.
    Too many Vac lines!

7. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Most of the vac lines go to the carburetor functions like idle bump which will be deleted with the new carb. The others can be hooked up to ported vac which the CV carburetor does have..

Once I priced out everything I needed for the Harley EFI/ turbo, I started looking at JDM vehicles that could donate their F6A turbo ( cappuccino, Alto Works, Jimny 660 turbo ).. Then I started to realize, I could buy something like a Jimny 660 for pennies basically and use the truck only when I need a truck. I'm just searching for the right one right now

8. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Still rocking the original carb. Have been running a bottle of Heet per tank and it's been running fine.

That said, now have the '93 Jimny on the way due in a few weeks. But also found an engine importer that has complete Jimny F6A turbo's with ECU's pretty cheap.. Once I have the Jimny I'll take the measurements and see if it will fit under the seats. The block is the same part number so the oil pan, pickup and engine mounts will differ but swap. The head is the same as the Carry turbo so the Carry turbo manifold that is still available can fit the Jimny head/ turbo ( VZ21/RB31 ). The intake manifold is quite large and the only real question since it will end up canted upwards since the Jimny sits the engine perfectly vertical. Possibility of cutting the runners at a slight angle and welding them back level to clear the seat/ cab wall

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  9. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

anybody get back to this?

10. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I am about to go threw the stock carb on mine, it idles too high and bad gas milage.

11. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I sold my truck, but my Jimny ended up needing an engine so I bought one of those imported engines anyway. I may have the cylinder head, intake and exhaust and the automatic ECU for sale as soon as I do the swap

12. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Hey can I get the info from the motor importer from you ?I might try a cv carb I have twenty or thirty of them I'm a retired Harley builder , tuner so have a bunch a.thanks my email is rogerosborne20@gmail.com thanks!

13. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

im listening if thats all it takes to make it an EFI model instead.

these carbs seem to be pretty quirky.

14. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The motor importer I used was JDM New York but I don't think they have any more..

As far as using the FI parts the Jimny intake manifold will likely need cut and re welded at an angle to fit under the Carry seats

Now, the intake for the turbo Carry ( only model Fuel injected DD51T ) might still be available. Part no 13110-53F50-000 list is about $300 and then the throttle body is 13400-53F50-000 list is about $800. But if you could find those parts then a megasquirt conversion would be cake work.

15. fmartin_gila

I believe Japanese surplus engines/trans are still sold by the business in Ontario, Cal. Would just depend on the stock at the moment if what you need is available. Don't remember what their name is, might do some searching. They did/do carry, when available, most Japan brands.

Fred

16. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I had gotten a Metro motor from one of those places in Chicago.
    And as a mater of fact one had a different throttle body on it I didn't use, Hmmm?

17. fmartin_gila

Good start for a megasquirt system?

Fred

18. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

wow.. thats a lot of doing & kinda kills it for me..

but its great to hear about & learn from others!

guess i'll go back to something i know more about. (propane instead of gas.)

19. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

OK guys There is a throttle body with injector and TPS that will bolt right on!
    The Cat uses Bosh
    So if I have the TB and Injector and water temp sensor and the Auto tune has the o2 sensor and can make it's own maps according to air fuel ratios
    What else do I need?

20. Cbast

Cbast New Member

speeduino that control individual coil trottle body from a tercel they have map sensor iac tps on it so the injector need to be fit just after the T/B and i think its a 50 mm opening

im not to sure what size injector im gonna put i have 565 cc and i plan to put just 1 injector + a small tf35 turbo

21. allyn

allyn New Member

What throttle body is that? I have been looking for something like that. Also anyone have a solution for crank position?