1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DB52T 4WD Problems

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Coastguy3270, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Coastguy3270

Coastguy3270 New Member

I have searched the site and unable to find a solution to the problem I am having. I have to no problem getting into 4WD, either HI or LOW. I am able to disengage the 4WD, but when put into 2WD or transfer case into neutral, the relay starts to make noise behind the dash, with the 4WD light going on and off and on top of the front differential. If I try to move, it will momentarily engage , then disengage, causing a big clunking sound. I have to assume that it is the 4WD controller that is the issue, but are unable to find it under the dash. Am I right? Can someone point me in the right direction where I can find the controller. This just started yesterday and never had any problems before this. Thanks!

Phil

2. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

3. Coastguy3270

Coastguy3270 New Member

Thanks for this, I avoid Facebook, but have gone back on to try and sort this out. Even if I could disable for the time being so it just stays in 2WD I would be happy until I get it figured out.

Phil

4. Norwood

Norwood New Member

Its possible you could have the same culprit that I had on my '99 DB52T. Check the "free axle control" its called. Your 4wd is electronically actuated. This free axle control sits on top of the front differential. The problem is that over time it gets full of water and the little electric motor inside rusts up solid. The truck will sound like its going into 4wd but it really isn't. Its held on with about 3 or 4 bolts. Its a black plastic thing with a vent tube. Mine was completely full of water. Had to order a new one from Japan (the cheapest option), about $160 or so. Its a known issue on these DB52T trucks. Contact me for more info if you need to.

Limestone likes this.
  5. Coastguy3270

Coastguy3270 New Member

Hi Norwood,

Thanks for that! The truck is definitely having no problems getting in and out of 4WD. Getting and staying in 2WD is the problem. I will check it out though. Could I just disconnect it for now so it stays in 2WD? I do a lot of running around in it. Thanks for your input!

Phil

6. Norwood

Norwood New Member

You could unplug the wires at the back of the free axle control, that would prevent going into 4wd. In my case I “thought the truck was in 4wd but it really wasn’t. Made all the noises and all. But it wasn’t engaged.

7. Coastguy3270

Coastguy3270 New Member

Hi,

I just took out the 4WD fuse and that stopped it. Kind of a pain to stop and put the fuse back in when I want 4x4, but need to still figure out if it is the 4WD controller or not. I have been reading all over that it is a vacuum system, but for the life of me cannot find any vacuum lines. Is it possible that this model is purely electric? I can't even find the controller under the dash, if it is actually there. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Phil

8. Coastguy3270

Coastguy3270 New Member

9. Norwood

Norwood New Member

Your truck is entirely electric actuation for 4wd. That’s what the free axle control does. The majority of the trucks are older which are vacuum actuated. You’ll find that most conversations concern the older trucks. There is an electric module under the dash somewhere. I was never able to locate the one in my truck with certainty either. I’ve seen an exploded diagram for DB52T’s which show it but not the exact location. If it’s making noise, clicking and your 4wd light comes on the the dash panel, I’m guessing it is ok, but who knows? There is also an electric position switch on the transfer case and on the front diff. Could possibly be something with those. I would raise the front up off the ground on jack stands so the front wheels are free and verify that it’s in 4wd. I’m still guessing the free axle control may be at fault.

10. Norwood

Norwood New Member

Perhaps your free axle control is doing kinda the opposite of what mine was doing. Mine wouldn’t engage but maybe yours won’t disengage properly.

11. Coastguy3270

Coastguy3270 New Member

Norwood,

Thanks a lot! I figured that it was electric only, but now are going to look at the position switch on the transfer case to start with. Just continue to track and troubleshoot. That's why I haven't been able to find a 4WD controller for it, anywhere. If I ever figure it out will post the problem so others can see.

Phil

12. Coastguy3270

Coastguy3270 New Member

Hi Norwood,

Where is the free axle control located exactly?

Phil