1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DB51T Timing

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Adam Xett, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Hey team, got a strange one....
    I finally chased my "no power under load" issues to bad timing - manually advanced the timing a bit and the thing was back to perfect.
    I finally got a timing light out to check it and it reads.... 20. I've read that ~7 is factory and 9-10 is what a lot of folks run. If I retard the idle timing back down to 7-10, the engine hardly runs and lacks any sort of power.

Is my timing wrong? I've replaced the cap/rotor - do you think the distributor itself could be wonky?

Thanks!

2. DIYguy

DIYguy New Member

When setting the ignition timing, you need to remove the vacuum advance and plug the hose. I suspect this may be your difference.

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

AND the advance is governed by the carburator. If you look at how stuff is routed, the port is controlled by the carburator temp.

When the system is working good, you would swear it's fuel injected. But a little bit of carburator issue messes with a lot

4. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

So, I had tried timing it with the vac disconnected and the hose plugged - didn't really seem to make any difference. Running the vehicle with the vac adv completely disconnected also yielded little to no difference in performance.
    Oddest thing is it runs inconsistently - some days its got power, other days it just won't deliver.
    Should the vac tube from the vac advance run back to carb directly? I traced it back and I thought it went direct to the manifold?

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member