1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date of Manufacture?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Samurai9, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

The chassis number for my Hijet is

S83P-152815

This number is on a metal decal under the driver's seat and also pressed into sheet metal near the radiator. Does this number indicate the year this truck was produced? I have contacted Leon at Daihatsu Help with this question.

Thanks,

Sam

2. beerwagon

beerwagon New Member

i also need to find out what year mine is good ??????

3. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

check the date that is marked on the seat belt. That will tell you the year of truck. Darin

4. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I have the tag off the seatbelt. It is dated 1993 but that is the date the seatbelt was produced. I don't think it is the best evidence of the date the truck was built. I don't know that seatbelts were always installed in trucks the same year that the belt was made. It is possible, for example, that a belt made in late 1993 was installed in a truck in 1994, yes, yes?

I have researched chassis numbers on the Net and can't tell what is going on. My prefix is S83P. Most of the 1995s I have seen have the S110P prefix. I tentatively decided my truck was produced in 1993 based on the style of lettering on the front. But I have found a 1994 truck that has a lower chassis number than mine.

Sam

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  5. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

hmmmmm. true about the seat belt and actual truck year. Great now I'm clueless again. :)

6. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I just found this source, (http://www.xroadsimport.com/xri/index.php?page=mini-truck-info) which indicates that model S83P was last manufactured in 1993 and that beginning in 1994 the model number was
    S110P. This suggests that my truck was made in 1993 or earlier.

Sam

"Daihatsu HiJet Truck - Old Body Style 660cc

Make:
    Daihatsu
    Models:
    S83P (1990-1993), S110P (1994-1998)

Year Range:
    1990 to 1998
    Body Style:
    Short Wheel Base, Wheel Under Seat

Engine Type:
    3 cylinder gas
    Engine CC:

Transmission:
    4 or 5 Speed
    Transfer Case:
    Hi/Low (not on all trucks)

Typical Options:
    AC, Dump, Differential Lock, Axel Lock
    Available Options:
    Jumbo Cab, Power Steering

Lift Kit Options:
    2 1/4", 3"
    Tire Options:
    23" (2 1/4"), 25" (3")

Advantages:
    The early to late 90's Daihatsu is second to only the Suzuki in popularity in the US for most of the time they have been imported. This is because the Daihatsu is a tough, reliable, & easily modified work horse. The mid engine design has been the most sought after as it more readily adapts to lifts, and larger tires. The engine is powerful, & easy to maintain. It is the second most likely of all the makes to have sought after features like differential, & axle lock. Many Daihatsu trucks will also have the dump bed. The cab of the Daihatsu is larger than the same year Suzuki.

Cab Larger Than Suzuki
    Hi/Low Transfer
    Jumbo Cabs Available Many Options
    Wide Lift Selection
    Wide Tire Selection"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  7. thiercito

thiercito New Member

View attachment 12951

These are the production dates on your model, I think it is a 93 but was built on November 1992 based on the chart