1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash light on?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by tmikewww, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Can someone tell me what the red light (that is on constantly) is? It looks like maybe a muffler with wavy lines above it.:confused::confused::confused:

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      56.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. goozey

goozey New Member

Rear Defog on the back window?

3. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

If light comes on you are suppose to stop the truck and let it cool as it's getting too hot inside the exhaust. ????? I had a customer that had this problem but it was even on when first started so he just grounded the sensor to the frame and the light went out and stayed out. It's either a oxygen type sensor or some sort of heat sensor. :confused::confused:

Darin

4. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

This light comes on as soon as I turn the key on. Oh, and no rear defrost. Could it maybe be an oxygen sensor? I thought I read someone mention that somewhere on this site. Anyway, thanks for everyone that replied..

5. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

Check your parking brake?

6. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

It's not a parking brake light!

7. goozey

goozey New Member

take a photo and post it...

8. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

I still think it is the oxygen sensor or some sort of heat sensor in your exhaust. It's on the left side of your truck by the battery mounted in the exhaust. If you ground that wire leading to it the light will go off. Let us know what you find. Darin

9. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Thank you guys for the input. I'll go out to the shop shortly and try to get a picture.
    Again ,
    Thank you!!
    tom

10. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

Tom, had the same problem cut wire on the oxygen sensor and ground on frame. Price on new or used sensor is out of this world. LTC

11. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

what was the price? Just for the heck of it. :sly:

12. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Itclarry,
    Thank you! I' am on my way out to do it right now!!

13. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

This same light was on with one of my trucks. My mechanic new what it was immediately. It is common with all automobiles. He recommended the same thing instead of replacing the sensor simply ground it to the frame.

My dad once had a car where the "idiot light" kept coming on. He took it to the mechanic two or three times. The last time he took it the mechanic guaranteed it would not come on again. My dad asked how he could be assured of that. The Mechanic said "Because I cut the wire!"

Jeff

14. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

Darinray,could Not Find A Used One. New One Was A Bought 120.00 And Take 2 Weeks To Get.

15. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

WOW! Yup cut the wire and ground it. :)

16. Let us know how that goes, my dad's truck just started throwing that error out and we were trying to figure it out.

17. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

I posted a picture in the photo gallery(with two others I've posted). Don't know how to get it here. Also, what I think is the sensor, (on the side of the muffler) is tied into the same wire that goes to the tail light! Can this be right?!?!
    Thanks again,,,
    tmikewww

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  18. slayshit

slayshit New Member

Do you want to know what that light is that looks like a muffler with heat lines above it is?....its the light that tells you your engine is running rich to warm itself up faster your truck should be blowing grey black smoke if the light is on when you fire it up...

JTT3 likes this.
  19. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

No disrespect, but you should do a little more checking of your information before you post on here. Also, notice the date of the post. A new "handle" might also be in order also.
    Tmikewww

20. slayshit

slayshit New Member

Im sorry I must have been mistaken if thats not what it is im sorry I will just be quite and quit trying to help... wtf does that light mean anyway?

21. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

oxygen sensor

22. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Actually that light is connected to a temp sensor in the muffler that measures the downstream
    temp of the catalytic convertor. When the light comes on it is to tell you your CC is running to hot due to a
    malfunction i.e. to much unburnt fuel mixture in the exhaust which can cause the CC to literally
    melt. This would from a emission standpoint be bad and could also severely restrict the exhaust opening.

23. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

And Timetripper has the only right answer..

Either your exhaust is heating up due to a clogged cat, or there is some other culprit such as way off ignition timing, or an extreme lean mix to kick the light on. Since it comes on as soon as the car is on, I would say it's a bad sensor, or a bad connection somewhere. You can ground it out, but best to fix the problem. Chances are that it's pretty rusted up though, and next to impossible to remove.

24. slayshit

slayshit New Member

Thank you Timetripper I am new to mini trucks I recently purchased a 1990 subaru sambar sc with ac and diff lock and a extreme low gear for 4x4 "very cool" anyway when I purchased the vehicle the guy I got it off of thought it was to tell you your engine is running rich to warm itself up because its supercharged he thought and he said also that is why it blew out a big cloud of grey and black smoke when he fired it up for the first time...uh oh....

25. slayshit

slayshit New Member

I think I am gonna get that huge muffler and cat pulled off first chance I get...