1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily highway commuter?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by cabnfever, Dec 30, 2008.

1. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

I've been looking at these mini trucks hijet etc and think these are great vehicles. I was wondering if they would stand up as a highway commuter for work which would mean driving at 100-120kph for 50km's each way. Would the engine/drive last or wear out quickly. How are they mechanically to begin with is there lots of maintenance?

2. andy_george

andy_george Member

I commute on gravel about 12 miles each day, so my scenario is a little different. But my opinion is that mechanically they would be as dependable as any good Japanese car...i.e. very good. But to go that fast for that long every day...The mileage wouldn't be the best, they don't ride like a caddy, for sure, and it's hard to pack a lot in the average cabs. I personally would look more at an inexpensive Japanese car or pickup.

But those don't put a smile on your face everyday...so flip a coin!

-Andy

3. Rural

Rural Member

Probably the best truck for what you are describing is a super-charged Subaru Sambar. Any EFI model will probably be better than a carbureted model and the super-charged Sambar's have enough power to comfortably hold the speeds you are talking about with acceptable, but not amazing, fuel economy. I can speak to the fact that a not-so-well-tuned carbureted Sambar will struggle at highway speeds.

The Sambar's have a bit more cabin space and nooks for storage, but Andy is correct that cabin storage is pretty minimal in all mini-trucks, especially if someone will be sitting in the passenger seat. But for commuting, a Japanese car is probably the more practical, unless you routinely use a truck-box.

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i've had great luck with my 99 daihatsu twin cam efi. i agree that they aren't the most comfortable vehicle but i used to regularly drive 30 miles (50km) on the hiway at speeds above 120. mine was a little shy around hills... but that just meant i would do 100kph. i also have to agree that the fuel economy is lacking at hiway speeds. these are advertised at 50mpg... but you'll never see that. mine averaged between 25-34 if memory serves.

5. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

I have to agree. When I take mine into town (25kms each way) on the hiway it slows going up hills and screams like a Banshee coming down them. Fuel economy goes right out the window when you are pushing then to do 100kph or more. Added the fuel tanks are small, I'm at the gas station every couple of days when I'm regularly running it back and forth from home to town.

6. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

Ic ic, well i already have a toyota yaris as my daily but i have a kid on the way so i will be handing it over to the wife. I was hoping these were better on the highway than they are sounding so i could have used it as a daily and also done some residential snow removal/lawncare for some extra side cash. I dont really need any comforts in the cab just a radio would do it. Hmmm, i'll have to look into the subaru's with efi and see if they would work.

7. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

The radio's aren't worth listening to when these little trucks are up to hiway speed. They are not a quiet ride. Loud. But they are ALOT of fun to drive!!!

8. andy_george

andy_george Member

If the snow removal/landscaping excuse is what it takes to pass the wife test, by all means do it. Figure out what your primary use for the mini will be after you get it:)

Rule #1 at my house...."It's easier to get forgiveness than permission"

:D

-Andy

9. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

no the wife has no problems with me getting one, my only concern was the highway since i do 100km's a day to/from work. If i worked closer to the house i would already have one no question lol

10. andy_george

andy_george Member

After having a mini for nearly a year and coming to love it like no man should love a machine, if I was in your position I'd move my house to be able to justify the mini truck rather than go without.

I'm starting to sound like a used car salesman....

-Andy

11. rayallen

rayallen Member

Cabinfever....I drive my hijet, 1994, at 80 to 90 kph when on the highway. Mine is very quiet inside at that speed and you can hear the phone or radio. If 140 kph is the max, like a car has 130 mph on it then if you are trying to run it that fast then to treat a big car the same way you would have to run it at about 100 mph all the time. We know even a Ford or Chevy wont last long running it that hard and they sure won't get any gas milage. I drive mine to town a lot and it is about 50 miles round trip.I try to treat mine like it is the only one left on earth and I want to drive it forever. I say do not buy one if you don't want to fall in love with it. I try to find things to do just to drive mine and I try to keep my wife out of it because I know if she drives it very much I will loose it to her and then have to buy another one for myself. ray allen

12. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Just my opinion but I wouldn't use it as a primary vehicle.

-Greg

13. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

it's funny that you would say that when that's what they are designed for. in japan they are used day in and day out mine came from japan with over 90,000 km on it... someone sure used it a lot. you don't rack up that kind of mileage by doing a dump run once a month.

i know they have to follow lower speed restrictions there.. if that's what you mean?

14. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

This is exactly what I based my opinion on.

Don't get me wrong. These trucks handle great on the road but they are better suited for 90Kph roads not interstate highways.

-Greg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  15. jtpc

jtpc Member

I agree with what all has been said. I have an EFI subaru and find that there are times I prefer the highways over the city streets. I say this because the railroad tracks and bumps all through town jar the crap out of me and the truck! At least the highways are smooth. I stay in the 90-100kmh range myself. I have sony xplod speakers, so I can hear my cds just fine.
    So it depends on what your area is like as to whether it would be a great daily driver. The nearby city to me is Tulsa and if I were to commute there everyday, I would be dead because the traffic is bad and the people are very aggressive. But driving on the country highways I find I'm just fine.
    As for reliability, I don't know. I've had issues with mine. Nothing major, but each time I ended up being stranded, which is just not acceptable for me because I've always had good vehicles that I never even had to think about being stuck somewhere.
    But yeah, I would go for the supercharged subaru it sounds.
    But honestly, the better bet would be the new 08 trucks by tatanka that the local mini-truck dealer is getting in. They have larger wheels/tires and the 979cc engine holds the highway speeds much better. (and have a 3yr warranty I believe)
    But anyways, whatever you do, just take your time and do a lot of test-driving.
    ~Josh

16. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Quiet truck at highway speeds = Sambar S/C. :)

17. Kevinj

Kevinj New Member

I just got my '02 Suzuki Carry with 19k miles - too cool. I also just found this site yesterday! I am in South Dakota and here, any vehicle with lights, turn signals and mirrors can be licensed for road use. I can legally drive anywhere, accept the Interstate (and I really don't have a problem with that)

I commute 25km every day and thought this would add a little fun to the drive. Mine is quiet and comfortable at 55MPH (90km) but tires are an issue going any faster. I am adding a 3" lift and the 12 inchers are coming off tomorrow for 75r 13s. I took a GPS along this morning and found I was at almost 100kmh to reach 55mph. I am sure it will also add to the comfort level too.

I am concerned about extended high rpm. Does anyone know what Japanese speed limits are - or what speed these were designed for?

Also, it was -2 degrees this morning and it started right up!

18. Meesho

Meesho Member

Welcome to the web-site. You will find most people here own/are obsessed with the Subaru Sambar.

19. Kevinj

Kevinj New Member

A friend of mine is an importer and is trying to arrange EPA certification for the 2003-08 Suzukis and hopefully will get clearance in a few months to start bringing them in again. I have driven a Sambar once, but somebody did a 'bad' lift on it and it did not leave a good impression.

Anyway, I am selling these now, and since I have access to dozens of good Suzuki Carrys, need to remain loyal (for now anyway)

20. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey Kevinj. The speed limits in Japan where most mini-trucks are are not more than 80 km/hr. They have higher speed limits on the highways, but the japanese don't usually take the mini-trucks on those roads.
    So yeah, these trucks weren't really made for that. They are more for slow speeds/city. But you'll hear of many on this site who drive them in the 110-130 km/hr speeds.

21. Kevinj

Kevinj New Member

Thanks that's good info. With the tires I have on it now (12 inchers) 95kmh is 55mph according to my gps.That's fast enough for me. Now I just have to get my tach hooked up so I can see what the engine is doing at that speed.

22. Rural

Rural Member

You might want to reconsider the tach. Sometimes it's better not to know. ;)

23. With my stock 12s on the Hijet it would cruise along at 90K without peggin the tach. My Defi sat at about 5-5.5 k on the highway.

24. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

I use my truck daily as a parts truck for my bodyshop/mechanic shop... works AWESOME! I almost never leave a 30 mile radius.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  25. Gunrock0811

Gunrock0811 New Member

I'v driven one of these and the suzuki carry van in the Philippines and all i can say is WOW! Drove them off road and highway. the van i'v driven on the highway averaging 80 to 90 kph with about 6 to 8 ppl in it! lol adults and kids i mean. Over there these minis are everywhere! I'v seen the trucks hauling anything from full load(to sometimes over flowing) of gravel, big sacks of rice to probably 10 or more ppl cramped on the bed...at highway speeds! seeing those i can tell they can haul more than it's rated load weight. lol

26. max ofindiana

max ofindiana New Member

daily driver

hey guys and gals, i have driven mine every day for the last year and a half. i dont go over 80km unless i go on a road trip. my driving is all on 2-lane roads. i kinda like to baby my 1993 mitsi. i get around 35 mpg on the short trips , and around 37 on longer hauls i also take trips that are around 200 miles one way. no it doesnt ride like my big truck so i have to stop and stretch more often. im also getting the seats recovered caus they are hard on my rump. i weigh 200lbs and am 5 11in i have 13 in. wheels on mine no big problems so far broke a speedometer cable and put cv boots on i really like to drive mine. later max e.