1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu S8OLP starting issue?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by shawn adams, Aug 21, 2021.

1. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

Hello. We just picked up a Daihatsu mini truck and are having an issue starting it. It seems to be getting fuel. The starter cranks and turns the starter flywheel (in the bell housing) and turns all of the belts up front of the motor, but the distributor rotor does not spin. The rotor is stationary while cranking, but does not free spin when not cranking? Is that driven direct or by a belt?

Any suggestions? We don't know a lot about this truck yet since we just picked it up. Thank You!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Best Bet: The timing belt is broken. The timing belt is not visible with the cover on. And, the cam drives the distributor. You could pull the valve cover off, and check that the cam is turning and valves moving. but, I’m 95% sure it is the timing belt, and would start by pulling the cover off, and checking the belt.

Limestone and fmartin_gila like this.
  3. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

Thank You. Is the belt located by the rear of the engine or at the front? We did take the valve cover off and the cam is not moving when we crank the engine. We are pulling the belts and pulls off assuming the belt is at the front of the motor. thanks again.

4. shogun

shogun Active Member

5. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

Thanks for the link and info. I'm really just looking for someone that has done this before to get first hand info. We got the truck for free and just want to see if we can get it going. Thanks

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

The timing belt cover is on the front of the engine, where the rest of the belts are.

While you are in there it is highly recommended that you also replace the seals, water pump, and the timing belt tensioner. There are kits from most online vendors. There are a few on eBay from time to time. Make sure your getting parts for teh 550-cc EB engine. And it is highly recommended that you get a manual.

Limestone likes this.
  7. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

That's all great advice. I appreciate it and will probably replace most of what we remove while it's easy. We have most of the pulleys off but can't get the flywheel off to remove the screws for the cover that are slightly behind it. Thank You

8. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I agree with Jigs, and there are many past post, that verify this!
    Make sure that you don't alter your timing in the process!
    Limestone

9. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

Yes. Hopefully. At this point, we have cranked the motor without the cam moving, but as far as I know, if the cam and distributor stay in sync, I will just need to find TDC on the correct cylendar (which one is that?) and make sure it's lined up with the cam? OR am I totally off?

Limestone likes this.
  10. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

We got to the timing belt. It was broken. Do you know how I can determine what belt I need to get to replace it? I'm not even sure what motor is in it.

11. Limestone

You should fill in your signature, telling us what you have!

Limestone

12. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

I would love to, but I'm not totally sure... It's a Daihatsu S80LP, but that's all I know.. I have another thread with my VIN tag to see if someone can help me decode it for specifics. The Daihatsu decoder I found doesn't line up with my VIN numbers..

13. shogun

shogun Active Member

can you post the VIN tag here, then we can try to help, all what is written on the chassis no. sticker.

Edit, found your post with the chassis data and pics https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/help-with-identification.21517/
    JDA000S8000305546
    Type S80LP-DRK color 038

Daihatsu Delta 2005 VIN Lookup Result:
    VIN: JDA000S8000305546
    Manufacturer: Daihatsu Toyota Japan
    Brand: Daihatsu
    Model: Delta
    Engine:N/A
    Region/Plant: N/A
    Check: 0
    Year: 2005
    Sequential number: 05546
    https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/JDA000S8000305546

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Delta

But a Delta is no Kei truck, engine size is much bigger?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Limestone likes this.
  14. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

It's a 3 cylinder. So, 2005? okay. that's a start. Thank You. Here's a picture..

Attached Files:

15. shogun

shogun Active Member

16. Limestone

Yeah, I think we can All agree that you're unit has been re worked or Modified.

Thanks for listing the Info that you have as a start for US to try to help, as much as we can!

Limestone

17. shawn adams

shawn adams New Member

I'm not sure it has. The company I got from bought it and used it as a utility truck around an airport for years.. But who knows..

I SUPER appreciate the help though...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  18. Jigs-n-fixtures

If it is in fact an S80, it has the 550cc EB series engine.

S80 and S81 had the 550-cc EB, S82 and S83 had the 660-cc Ef engines, the S84 and onwards were units made outside of Japan or for Export from Japan, of the same body, but different engines to match the nations they would be sold in. Those units had larger displacements and some were diesels.

Limestone likes this.
  19. shogun

shogun Active Member

I just found this:
    Daihatsu Delta Service Manual
    Daihatsu Delta Service Manual.pdf
    Adobe Acrobat Document 1.4 MB

Daihatsu Delta Techical Data
    Daihatsu Delta.pdf
    Adobe Acrobat Document 3.6 MB

https://www.pdfmanual4trucks.com/daihatsu/
    maybe you download and compare with your engine/truck