1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Mini Deck Van

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Tin Man, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Tin Man

Tin Man New Member

First time poster here on the board. Have a Daihatsu Mini Deck van and love it. Recently have had engine issues that we can't figure out. My opening post here will be a long one to bring you up to speed and what we have so maybe someone can offer up some advice. Van is an '2006 I believe. Has around 12k miles on it. I have had it for 3 years. Zero issues till one of the hands had a momentary mental lapse and put diesel in it, started up and drove about a quarter mile before it died. Pulled it back to the shop, got diesel out of tank, put gas back in and fired up. Ran fine with no issues for about a week and I drive it daily. One day I got in it and took off the throttle seemed off/odd and had to push down maybe half throttle to get what should have been by barely moving throttle like you would for normal acceleration. Seemed low on power. Next morning it would not even start. Crank but never fire up. 2 or 3 days before it would not start I changed air filter and seen there was dust on the engine side of the filter, we are extremely dry here and doing a lot of dirt work, been driving in extreme dusty conditions all summer. I am assuming since this vehicle was made to drive on paved roads the air filter isn't designed for the dusty conditions we have been running in. I knew this was not a good sign, not heavy dirt on the wrong side of the filter, just dusty. Myself and one of my other hands who is a very good mechanic have done considerable work and diagnostic research on the engine. We have no books or anything to help us, just using basic engine knowledge we both have. We ran compression test, one cylinder has 140, one has 85 and one is at 70. We are told this engine is a high compression engine and should be around 190 and if below 100 it is hard to start. Obviously the compression we have is not good on 2 cylinders at all but what we find it the plugs are wet when taken out after trying to start it, engine is flooded on gas. Pull the coils and plugs, spin engine and we have LOTS of spark. Pulled injectors, had them tested by a fuel injector repair shop and they were perfect. I should add shortly after the diesel issue when it would not start the fuel pump was weak, we replaced it and have 45 psi fuel pressure now. While trying to start it we shot some starting fluid to it and it would not start with it either. Not the good ether but stuff from an auto parts store. We put new plugs in, had injectors tested, new fuel pump and after setting for awhile with plugs out etc.. and engine "dried" out it fired up. Idled as normal. Shut it off and restarted several times. Took for a test drive and it seemed a little weak on power but not bad. After warm up it wanted to idle to low and die, have to keep RPM up a little and it will run. Acts like the idle speed is to low all of a sudden. If it dies after warm up it will not restart. If you let it sit for 20 mins or so and then try it then it will start but you have to stay on the starter till it gets fully running. Again it acts like it is flooded on gas and can pull the plugs and they will be wet with gas. When starting for first time on a cold engine it runs at a fast idle, always has then when warmed up the idle speed will slow down, has always done this which I assume is normal. When it goes to low idle it is turning so few RPM's and doesn't want to stay running. One day it was warm and idling and the cooling fan kicked on, killed the engine which I assume was because the alternator loaded up some when fan came on. So everything was good till diesel being put in the tank, removed that and ran fine for week to 10 days then out of the blue would not start. Compression is low, injectors have been tested, new plugs, new fuel pump. Hard to start. I decided the dust had ruined the engine and this may still be the case but I have never had an engine that was worn on the cylinders that didn't use oil and smoke. This engine has never used any oil and has zero smoke which my common sense tells me that even though we have low compression it isn't so bad that it is consuming oil and or smoking so it should run just maybe down on HP. There are sensors all over the engine, there are no lights on in the dash when engine is running, there are several in the dash come on when you turn the key on. Could there be a bad sensor causing issues? Engine is obviously injected so the diesel didn't get to any sensors in the throttle body. One mini truck parts dealer I spoke to said the oxygen sensor just operates a light and has nothing to do with the engine computer to make it run bad if sensor is bad but I have no clue about that. Part of me says the engine is to damaged to run because it has taken in to much dust and hurt the cylinder walls but we don't smoke or burn oil. Engine was fine one day and not the next so that doesn't really add up to dirt damage either, there should have been signs of issues popping up prior to just not starting one day after running fine the day before. Maybe the cylinder walls aren't scarred up from dust but something in the cam somewhere changed and the valve timing is off and causing valves to be open to soon or open to late? Is there a sensor messed up somewhere that is causing issues? Really hate to just say dust/dirt killed the engine and replace it and then find out it was something else wrong. Can a person buy a computer to plug into diagnostic wire/computer and see if it shows any codes? Engine is EF-VE 660 cc. Chassis number and number under the seat is S330W-0000182. I am sure I am leaving out other info we have came up with but this is the bulk of it, apologize for the length of the post for a 1st timer but we have ran out of knowledge here and thought maybe someone on here would have input. Probably need and engine but before doing that we wanted to see if we could learn more.

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

The o2 sensor is not just connected to a light. In the older trucks there was a cat hot caution light with a temp sensor on the cat

Gossimier2004 likes this.
  3. Gossimier2004

Gossimier2004 New Member

My cat light has started staying on . Can the cat be cleaned out or would it be a sensor. Also I need plugs for a 1995 hi jet van S110V010623 660 twin cam fuel injection if any one could help. Thanks

4. Gossimier2004

Gossimier2004 New Member

I also have the se problem.. also if anyone could help .my gas guage does not work. Checked fuses under the dash and all are good. Would it be a fuse some where else? If not where can I get a guage for the tank?

5. ttc

ttc Active Member